Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently have Rogers high speed. I cringe everytime I get the bill.

$45 plus every month just seems to be too much.

How are others living without high speed?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
If its offered in your area CUIC $34.95 (if you purchase a modem) a month have two friends that are happy with the service. Wish DSL was in My area, I'm stuck with Robbers for a broadband connection.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you can't live without it and expect to do anything even slightly serious with the internet, whether it's on the developement side or on the read-only, let's say, research side.

i cringe at my bill as well, but it's more valuable to me than cable tv is. i don't believe prices will ever really fall too much. this is the protocol for years to come. the forces that be may not be able to control the internet's content, but, but they sure can control the price of getting it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Been on dial-up for the past 5 years, and people saying you can't do "anything serious" on the Internet have it all wrong. About the only thing you can't do is download 60 MB files unless it's overnight. Dial-up loads pages like ehMac extremely quickly and it only takes a few seconds to load a page on ehMac. I've never had to wait a few minutes to load even the most graphical-based web sites.

If you get dial-up, just make sure you get a reliable provider - once that connects you at 46,900 Bps or better (also depends on your modem - 56k V.90/V.92 or better required).

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
"Worth it" is a very personal question. And there's a big difference between wishing something was cheaper, and deciding if the benefit is worth the cost.

For example: Is the cost of your Mac worth it? No? Well, would you be happier with a Dell and the extra cash you saved? If not, then the Mac was worth it to you -- even if you wish it was cheaper.

But if you really want to find out, you can invest $45 on a 1-month experiment. Just unplug your high-speed modem for a month and see if don't mind doing without it. Subscribe to a dial-up service for the month if you think you'd replace your cable modem with that.

At the end of the month, work out the price difference, and ask yourself if it was worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you may want to check into other alternatives if you don't need the extra speed for downloading large files, or require ftp'ing large files to external sites. shaw cable, local telephone providers usually have services that are slightly slower for a reduced price. ie. shaw cable internet $40/month, their reduced speed LiteSpeed package is about $24. worth looking into. adsl and dsl connections are usually cheaper than cable.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
With the current frequency of Apple software updates, trust me, you want high-speed.

What's $45 (for me with Rogers VIP,it's $40 or $41)? That's almost as much as the phone bill. I cringe at my Rogers bill too, until I split it up by cable and internet, and tax,... and then split the cable up by what cable services I'm getting. It just all adds up and snowballs.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
At the moment we have 3 computers in the household
connected to Bell Hi-Speed and if I had to go back to dial up...
I think I'd be pulling my hair out trying to hook them up and
still get any bandwidth.

It's worth it...Believe me.

Dave :cool:

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
On a side note, you may want to look at various combined services, like cable TV + cable internet, long distance + DSL, satellite TV + phone + DSL, etc.

Seems to be a growing trend in the industry and I'm told there are some good deals available.

Haven't looked into it personally, since unlike my DSL provider, none of these broadband providers offer a static IP address.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
With the current frequency of Apple software updates, trust me, you want high-speed.
I disagree entirely. There aren't that many software updates, and when there is a big one, you simply run SU before going to bed, and the next morning, your good to go and your Mac will be waiting for you to click the 'Restart' button after the "The software was successfully installed" message appears. And half the updates aren't so big that dial-up users can't download them in a reasonable amount of time (up to 15 MB - takes about 35-45 min on my connection).

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

If you think your bill is too high, just drop cable TV. That's what we're going to do when both our cable internet and cable TV prices go up to the 'normal' rates.

When we first moved here, we just got cable internet and not TV, but a couple of weeks later Shaw called and offered cable TV for 1/2 the regular price for a period of 6 months. Maybe once we drop the cable TV, they'll offer it to us for a discount again. If not, oh well, it's just TV.

For us, cable internet is worth the price, but cable TV is not.

James

·
Registered
268 Posts
I disagree entirely. There aren't that many software updates, and when there is a big one, you simply run SU before going to bed, and the next morning, your good to go and your Mac will be waiting for you to click the 'Restart' button after the "The software was successfully installed" message appears. And half the updates aren't so big that dial-up users can't download them in a reasonable amount of time (up to 15 MB - takes about 35-45 min on my connection).
there's another message which could wind up on your screen when you wake up in the morning: The connection to the server has dropped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello -

I am a new member and just had to put in my two cents here!

High speed is the ONLY way to go. Especially now - Sympatico is going 3meg by end of March, and upload is doubling. I agree totally with james_squared vis a vis dropping TV services. We have just done that (for brain-improvement reasons, but the financial aspect is nice too). We have Sympatico, which is great 'cause you get 10 hours a month of free dialup which you can use toll-free in larger Canadian cities/towns. We use the free dialup all the time at the cottage.

I can understand Mr. Lars' position, and I thought the same way when high speed first arrived in our area. The only caveat is see how close your house is (physically) to the CO. If you are at the limit, (I think it is 7 kilometers?), you will never realize the full potential of high speed DSL. Signing up with a one year contract reduces the monthly cost by five bucks.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
And half the updates aren't so big that dial-up users can't download them in a reasonable amount of time
Strange, I always here alot of dial-up whiners whining about big files. :confused: Maybe it's more the game demoes and game updates.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Maybe it's more the game demoes and game updates.
Definitely this one. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hell, yes!! i can't imagine doing ANYthing on internet now with dial-up. might as well not go at all. high-speed is a must. if oyu don't believe that, try going back to dial-up for a few weeks and see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Dial-up is fine for most things unless you need to download large files (> 2 or 3 MB). MP3 downloaders and video lovers are not going to be satisfied with dialup, but not everyone does this.

I get along just dandy with dial-up but I have the big advantage of having high speed at work. When I want to download an update or other large file I do it there. My parents also have high speed so that is another place where I can download large files.

If you have access to high speed through work or a friend/relative, then this gives you the option when you really need it. You could even offer to pay them something for giving you the occasional high speed access.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What I don't understand is how Videotron in Quebec can survive by charging their cable modem customers $29.95 per month while here in Ontario (and likely elsewhere too) the local telco and cable companies are charging $44.95 per month. Either Videtron is stupid and will be out of business shortly or Bell, Rogers et al are gouging the consumer. Oh wait, they wouldn't do that, would they?

I don't know what the Rogers cable modem access is like these days but I lived in Markham and was with Sahw Cable when Rogers took over. I dumped them shortly after that. Not only was the service abysmal but Rogers has no concept of customer service. I had my cell phone, my internet connection, and my cable TV with Rogers; they eventually lost it all due to their total disregard and hatred for the customer. Wankers.

I was at a Rogers cable office a few months back doing a service call on a T1 line and I had to laugh. They had all these signs up inside with a cartoon character dressed up like the Crocodile Hunter, called the Dish Hunter. His slogan was, "We'll get them back!" Referring no doubt to those former Rogers customers who were now satellite customer. Yeah, fat chance. I went satellite and will never switch back to cable again. Thanks anyway.

So for $44.95 per month + tax you get high speed. I'm with Sympatico right now and can honestly say that in the last three years I have had only one problem with downtime and that was while the Bell tech was replacing my line on the pole out back. Apart from that, it's been great. And it's gotten a lot faster in the last month or so. So is $48.00 a month a lot of money? Sure, but it's worth it in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts