Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that the posts on the homepage arent updated right away.Is it just me?

.....usually is....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, not fair!!!! I only post a few times each day now, due to time constraints and vision problems.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible....3395 posts!!!! :eek:
No but really,I blame it on this Win 2K box at work.I know,I know....But SOMEWAY it is. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Sputnik - methinks that EhMax has implemented the dreaded intel detector which wraps up non-PowerPC cpus in futile cycles. Much like Microsoft software does on Macs....

Marc - I'm very sorry to hear of your vision problems. You've mentioned them in the past (in terms of screen resolution). It must be particularly frustrating with the amount of on-line teaching you do. I've also reduced my visitations lately. I also admit I don't read the Shangri-La clubhouse thread and so don't benefit from the best of your wit and humour. Let me know how you get on with the new powerbook. I'm still loading mine up with software (there's no time for even that!) but I did buy a DVI-ADC connector to hook it up to my 22" display in my office.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Sputnik, I shall admit that a "few" of my posts dealt with the topics of doxies, when I might have been posting in the threads pertaining to "war and peace".

jwoodget, I have a 19" monitor in my office and at home, but I find the time I have to spend online in front of a CRT monitor is quite tiresome for my eyes. I am not sure if I will hook up the PB to any of these monitors, but I might bring it into work and show my class some Keynote presentations, along with iMovie clips. I am still pondering the possibility of getting an external Firewire hard drive in that I want to do some iMovie/iDVD work, and don't want to load up the hard drive with video. We shall see.

Thanks, by the way, about the expressions of concern re my vision. I guess that Minnes can understand my situation, although his problems are far more difficult than my own, and while my vision is somewhat limited, I can function without major problems. I admire the courage that Minnes shows in the face of adversity, in that we never hear him complain.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Dr. G - two things. I think the LCD screen will be much better on your eyes. Apple (and Microsoft) have made great advances in legibility of LCDs and Quartz graphics makes type much more legible (as does MS TruText or whatever its called). The LCDs have zero flicker.

As for the hard drive, I would wait awhile. The 17" powerbook has a 60 gig drive. This is immense, even for video work (unless you are into feature length movie editing). You'll likely burn he edited product to DVD and trash the raw data. If you do decide to get an external, you should save some pennies and buy a FW800 drive as they are significantly faster than USB2 or FW400. Indeed, they approach Ultra Wide SCSI. The prices will drop as more devices are marketed (htere are PCI boards with FW800 ports due to be released which will help).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, that was my thinking about the external 800 Firewire hard drive. I am in no rush, although I have over 100 hours of VCR tapes of my son that I would like to transfer over to DV mini-tapes and then put certain clips onto a DVD. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, I have great plans for creating my own professional development DVDs to help teacher undertake early identification of learning disabled students, proactive intervention strategies and compensatory instructional techniques that might be utilized by teachers to help these students. I was told that I am too much in favor of a medical model of diagnostic/prescriptive literacy instruction, but I feel that unless children who are at-risk are identified early and provided needed instruction, they will not simply "grow out" of their disability to read/write strategically and effectively.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts