Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ummm... Are there any Mac loving ladies on ehMac? I can't remember reading a post from one. Not that gender is important or anything I just wonder why ther are no girls here.

Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
543 Posts
With all the unique names it is hard to tell, but never fear, there is at least one of us.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I know our esteemed Capucine is a lady, but as for myself, let me check.....yep, definitely a "Y" chromosome there! ;)

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green's Men's prayer

:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Red Green's Men's prayer... that is the greatest thing ever....

That guy is nuts... truly Canadian. Red Green is the epitomy of the Canadian male. All men revere him, all women want him.... well probably not that last one...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hmmmmm

This thread makes me think that maybe a Saturday afternoon "meet and greet" at some central Toronto location might be in order during the Festive Season.

Anyone up for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup, I'm definitely a female!!

The meet'n'greet sounds great, but it's a tad far to travel, having to come all the way from Montreal... ;)

So far, out of our great community, I've only met the Mayor in person, when we both attended MacWorld in NYC. Boy, is he tall! :eek: Well, at least from my 5 foot vantage point! ;)

~ Capucine

ehMac Public Official
ehMac SETI Team Leader

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's great.

No matter how I try to say that makes me feel better, it ends up sounding weird... so I'll settle with that's pretty cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> This thread makes me think that maybe a Saturday afternoon "meet and greet" at some central Toronto location might be in order during the Festive Season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds cool, I'm in.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ahhh.. La Belle Province. Do I ever miss it. Montréal??? Not that far. A smooth drive with an iPod worth of music!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capucine:
Yup, I'm definitely a female!!

The meet'n'greet sounds great, but it's a tad far to travel, having to come all the way from Montreal... ;)

So far, out of our great community, I've only met the Mayor in person, when we both attended MacWorld in NYC. Boy, is he tall! :eek: Well, at least from my 5 foot vantage point! ;)

~ Capucine

ehMac Public Official
ehMac SETI Team Leader
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
"I could never be a woman. I'd just sit at home and play with my breasts all day..."

-S. Martin, L.A. Story

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I think its largely a guy dominated world in computers, as omputers seem to be a guy thing... maybe its to do with the electronic toy just upgrading and actually doing stuff syndroym... Or whatever, but nice to see theres at least a token force of women to straighten the board up with their insightful opinions.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
We have at least one other female here at ehMac...."Brenda". I don't think she has quite gotten past the prerequisite fifteen posts for full citizenship yet, but I have met her and I can tell you for sure that she is not a guy. (she lives here on Salt Spring)

It's interesting that, although women make up 52% of the population in Canada, we only have about a 1% female participation rate here at ehMac.

What's up with that?

On a related side note....among the small group of friends whom I have (so far) unsucessfully tried to persuade to switch to Apple, a large number of them were dissuaded by their female better half from making the jump into the light.

I heard all of the arguments "against" and the conclusions I drew from what I'd heard was that women were VERY conservative when purchasing things like cars and computers, etc. They like to go with what everyone else seems to accept as good....and they are not big on committing a large chunk of change to something that is considered slightly outside of the mainstream. (I am generalising here a bit, so stay with me)

They say "honey....let's get the Honda instead of the Subaru WRX. I know it's slower, but it's way more sensible....and besides, way more people buy Hondas! There must be a reason!"

Or..."honey....let's get the 800$ standard screen TV instead of the 1500$ 16X9 flat screen. It'll be just as good....and most people buy them so there must be a reason"

Or, better yet..."honey...let's buy the PC. There's a lot more software, they're cheaper, and all of my friends have them. There must be a reason"

Does this sound at all familiar to any of you?

(BTW- I certainly do NOT want to belittle female attitudes here....I am just trying to point out one of the possible reasons why there are so few women at ehMac.)

Interestingly enough, there was an article on Global TV News quite recently that explored the buying patterns of women and compared them with those of men. They came to the conclusion that, on some things, females will spend a LOT more than men will. (sadly, computers were not one of the things that women usually choose to spend big bucks on)

The producers of the news article chose a very nice cardigan sweater as their first example. It was adverised in specialty women's clothing shops at 100$. It sold well. When advertised in men's stores it didn't sell until it was reduced to 50$. Several male and female buyers were asked what their motivation to buy or not to buy was. The guys said that "anything more than 50$ was simply too much." The women said that they thought that fifty was too low, and therefore they thought it was a "cheapie" (unless it was on sale).

Same goes for haircuts. Men usually hate to pay more than 20 bucks. Women rarely pay less than fifty. Even for the very same cut. (this was also illustrated in the news article....by afemale correspondent, no less.

Women tend to be more creative than men, and once they've discovered Apple computers they no doubt are seriously converted....just as we all have been. I personally know several female Mac Addicts, and they are the most committed Macophiles I know.

I just think that the price, and the percieved lack of acceptance by the general public affects their buying patterns more than it does most men. PC=95% of the market and Mac=5%....they ask themselves "why?" They don't want to get burned on a big ticket item like a computer, and that influences their choice to some degree.

There are quite a LOT of women using computers these days....why aren't more of them using Macs?

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
I think its largely a guy dominated world in computers, as omputers seem to be a guy thing... maybe its to do with the electronic toy just upgrading and actually doing stuff syndroym... Or whatever, but nice to see theres at least a token force of women to straighten the board up with their insightful opinions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's got to do with buttons. guys love things with buttons. The remote control for the TV/VCR/DVD/Home Entertainment Centre... The computer, with LOTS of buttons on the keyboard.

Shiny objects also catch our attention. If it sparkles, reflects, gleams, or shines, it can mesmerize us for hours.

Shiny objects with lots of buttons... well, that would be the most fabulous object in the world!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alesh:
Oh geeze Strongblade... you had to didn't you? That's quite funny though....<HR></blockquote>

What makes it funny is that it's probably true about most guys. For a clearer understanding of why, see my previous post on "things with buttons".

Let your imagination wander...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts