Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
18,057 Posts
I'll come clean and reveal my pro-AW bias :D

For years I used ClarisWorks and then AppleWorks to do layouts for our organizational newsletter. I just could'nt get Word 5.1 and later editions to do what my brain wanted to do - use boxes as free-floating objects on the page, set up text boxes that wrap from page 1 to page whatever with absolutely idiotic simplicity, the layering of objects...

On the occasional moment when I stupidly TRY to use MS-Word to do something that's even slightly beyond a plain old one-column text document, things just get ugly (and I have a long history with Word, including having to prep manuscripts for publishers).

Oops - got off topic a bit. Okay.. is it worth it? I like having it available... it launches fast, is easy to do page-layout with multiple elements, and nicely integrates multiple modes (drawing, spreadsheet, dbase, text) in one package. Plus now that PDF is a big part of how I use documents, OSX makes AW even better.

So - if it didn't come with one of my Macs, would I pay the $119 Cdn for it? (Students get it for $65, btw) Hmmm.

Well - if you aren't doing complex documents, AW is more than sufficient for most people's needs. I do find that some Word files just don't translate well, particularly those that are multi-columnal with embedded graphics, etc. So at the very least one would need a program like icWord to read and or print Word files (though I hear Panther's TextEdit update handles Word to a certain extent now).

And then of course, there are the rumours here, here, here and for Norwegian readers, here) that AppleWorks is soon to be relaunched with a mega-update to make it an MS-Office challenger.

Might we worth waiting a few weeks...

:cool:
M

· Premium Member
18,057 Posts
Hey, da_jonesy, as a Mac user, you know that functionality isn't all that. It's gotta have style, man. Last time I played with OpenOffice, it had a definite ugly factor. :D

It also takes up a fairly heft amount of disk space...

M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.