Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether it's worth getting AppleWorks - is it a really good word processing application from Apple? I'm sick of MS Word - it's slow, and a piece of junk for the most part (and do I ever mean slow).

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I'll come clean and reveal my pro-AW bias :D

For years I used ClarisWorks and then AppleWorks to do layouts for our organizational newsletter. I just could'nt get Word 5.1 and later editions to do what my brain wanted to do - use boxes as free-floating objects on the page, set up text boxes that wrap from page 1 to page whatever with absolutely idiotic simplicity, the layering of objects...

On the occasional moment when I stupidly TRY to use MS-Word to do something that's even slightly beyond a plain old one-column text document, things just get ugly (and I have a long history with Word, including having to prep manuscripts for publishers).

Oops - got off topic a bit. Okay.. is it worth it? I like having it available... it launches fast, is easy to do page-layout with multiple elements, and nicely integrates multiple modes (drawing, spreadsheet, dbase, text) in one package. Plus now that PDF is a big part of how I use documents, OSX makes AW even better.

So - if it didn't come with one of my Macs, would I pay the $119 Cdn for it? (Students get it for $65, btw) Hmmm.

Well - if you aren't doing complex documents, AW is more than sufficient for most people's needs. I do find that some Word files just don't translate well, particularly those that are multi-columnal with embedded graphics, etc. So at the very least one would need a program like icWord to read and or print Word files (though I hear Panther's TextEdit update handles Word to a certain extent now).

And then of course, there are the rumours here, here, here and for Norwegian readers, here) that AppleWorks is soon to be relaunched with a mega-update to make it an MS-Office challenger.

Might we worth waiting a few weeks...

:cool:
M

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd say to definitely go for AppleWorks. I've used it back when it was ClarisWorks... those were the days =)!

Claris/AppleWorks was one of the main reasons I actually started switching from PC -> Mac back in 1999. I know it is a stupid reason but back then, it seemed really cool... I used it all the time at school and I just had to have it at home. Then shortly after that, I got sold off my PC and got my iMac. =)

Anyways, back to the point: AppleWorks 6 is an awesome program. But, unless you really need it, I'd say wait. With all the rumors about a new Apple "Office" suite, I'd say give it until MacWorld Expo... personally, I have found that even TextEdit will work for me. But yeesh, I know what you mean about Word. I am using it to type up my Lit Review right now and it is horrible.... urgh.

Well, back to work I go,

Neema

·
Registered
214 Posts
I only have Appleworks 5, so I'm not sure I'll be of much help. It's missing some features I would like, especially the ability to insert tables. For basic word processing though, it's fast and simple.

Maybe you should check out other alternatives? Mariner Write is supposed to be an excellent one, though I've never used it.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
AppleWorks 6 is an OK word processor. It's also a mediocre spreadsheet, an obsolete database application and a fair basic presentation program. Considering the breadth and integration of the program, it's also an amazing bargain, but it can't match MS Office, either the Mac or the PC version, I'm afraid. If you need to do complex word processing or really heavy duty spreadsheet work, there is no substitute for Word and Excel. If you don't need the big guns, though, AppleWorks is good enough.

In my own case, I use AppleWorks 6 for most office-type things. If I need the feature list of Word or Excel, I just fire up my PC and use Office 2000. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often. If Office X were selling for $200, I might be tempted, but it's just too expensive.

Apple seems to be making some preparations to challenge Microsoft in this area - Keynote is a worthy competitor for PowerPoint, and there are strong rumours of matching word processor and spreadsheet implementations.

A small sign of things to come (maybe): Panther's implementation of TextEdit will read and write to the .doc format (MS Word.)

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I love AppleWorks. If more people had a program like it, they might just use the spreadsheets, databases, etc. because they're quite easy to use and work.

Next to zero ram required; and keep in mind AppleWorks is a single, integrated program.

If the word processor is running, the spreadsheet is running too (for example). Seamless integration with different tasks, no need to have two bloatware programs running at the same time, fighting the CPU and RAM for attention.

Try "save as HTML" sometime; instant web page.

I own MS office; but, like Antivirus SW, it's only there to make my life easier when working with Windows users. I never use it to actually create documents.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Agreed on all points. One addition. If your are fortunate enough to not have to interface with other folks who use MS...like clients on PCs, then go for it. AW 6 which I have does 90% of what you would need for basic stuff. The BIG benefit is if you can run a Mac without ANY MS products. The programs clutter the system and are just not friendly when it comes to keeping your system up and running.

But, if you have to work with clients using power point, Excell and Word...you really have no choice. The time spent in converting is not worth it. Time=money.

I have one Mac here that has no MS products on it...has never crashed, is quick and stable. The others...not so much. Stuff corrupts quickly and Explorer and Entourage crash after say 6 months of use.

As for waiting...there will be an upgrade path undoubtable and whatever the difference (in $$$) it is certainly well worth it to buy now - because you will have gotten a ton of use out of the program in the interim.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Guys if money is the issue... OpenOffice is the answer... It's free (opensource)

There is an OSX port available now (I've used it). Installation is time consuming, but once it is installed it runs fine and has a fairly rick feature set (certain more than the 80% that everyone uses).

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey, da_jonesy, as a Mac user, you know that functionality isn't all that. It's gotta have style, man. Last time I played with OpenOffice, it had a definite ugly factor. :D

It also takes up a fairly heft amount of disk space...

M.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've used Appleworks 5 and earlier versions & I have one peeve: formatting when opening an Appleworks doc with another word processor. It just does not work well in my hands. Is this the same with other users with V6?
The database works "OK" and it's graphics integration into WP docs is very easy and works well.
I don't like it anymore, too many frustrations. For Mac to Mac use it's OK, for Mac to PC, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are looking for a word processor:

Can you still download Wordperfect for mac for free? The last version was 3.5, it had a lot of features, it was available on the Corel website a while ago as an unsupported free download. It's small and fast. Bought it in 1996 on disk as an educational discounted item for $29.00, It had a lot of good clip-art on the disk. Not for OSX.

Does anyone use Nisus writer? It's fast and cool. The new OSX updates look good, has anyone used their new versions? Used the older versions on OS8 and 9 and they were very nice.

But...
Microsoft Office is the best in my opinion, Word is a powerful WP which has more features that I'll ever need and does it all with ease and cross platform compatibility. Excel is a great program and you get Powerpoint. A good package.

Is Appleworks worth it? I would wait for a
better version. The price might reflect it's improvements which would bring it into MS Office pricing anyway. As is, it's no bargain, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Earlier posts are quite right about AppleWorks...all indications point to an eventual release of a new version, so you would do well to wait.

Until then, if you're in the market for an affordable, fast word processor, I'd recommend you have a look at Nisus Writer. I've become a big fan of it since I started using it about two months ago...best wordprocessor out there for under $100 (and it supports Panther, too). Here's the link.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Post script to my last post...according to the Nisus website, they're looking for beta testers, presumably to work out the bugs in a new version of Nisus Writer. Might be worth checking out...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm with Sinc... Appleworks is a great word processing app. The farther away I can stay from Micro$oft products, the better!

DJ

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh well, here goes.
I've hated AW since CW. I find it ridiculously difficult to change settings once the document has started. I've been using MSworks 4? since the colour classic and find it far simpler to use.
In fairness, I have to yet install it on my pismo to see how it works there. (I don't know how many floppies through the 6300 applesharing with the pismo, should take a while.) It was slow once you added graphics but then that was with 68030/60 and a 603e/100.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i found a copy of appleworks 6 on CD from my imac running OS9, can i install it into my PB running OSX and do the X upgrade 6.2.7 at the apple website? will this installation and upgrade run well?

·
Registered
73 Posts
AW 6 runs fine on OS X, unless you are a power user, just as usefull as MS Word and a heck of a lot cheaper....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts