Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With School around the corner, Apple has yet to deliver any NEW upgraded Powerbooks. Students are screaming at every Mac forum on the internet. Some students have had to resort to buying the old iBooks because they CAN'T wait past September for new Powerbooks.

Apple has the sweet spot Powerbook 15" (TiBook at the moment) for most students. Question is, for those students jumping ship to the iBooks, how much of a loss will this impact Apple? Plus if the 12" Powerbook gets a bump in speed, those sales will drop from potential students who JUST CAN'T wait for Apple any longer.

Why does Apple do this???? Every other computer manufacturer is having huge sales out there for students for the latest and greatest products. But when you look at Apple, if you're a student you might have to wait months after school starts to have that Powerbook you wanted. Meanwhile your roomate is crunching essays etc... on their PC while you're using note papers and a pen :D

I will never understand Apple's strategy when it comes to making POWER sales for students. It may be Laptops of the Year, but Apple is doing it in a sloppy way in marketing and timing. Could it be that Motorola is at fault?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I agree that Apple really needs to update the 15" PB, but since the iBook is, supposedly, geared to students that may not be the primary issue at Apple. Plus, the 12" PB is far more portable and may be more desirable for students.

Of course, the iBook is also due for a MAJOR revision and not just some little speed bump. It needs, at the very least, to have bluetooth built-in and be airport extreme ready.

James

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
You have no IDEA how messed up product availability is.
As a member of the Apple Re-sellers-get-screwed-every-which-way-but-loose club, I share your pain MacDoc, sales are near minimal right now, people want the new products that have not even been announced yet....

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I always wanted to get an iBook, but still there were no back to school deals on them. So I quit waiting and got one anyways. I agree there would be a lot more sales if they got some promotions going.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the iBooks were big sellers with college and university students too. However, there are a lot of graphic students etc.. who want a bigger screen then 12" and are ready with cash to buy an updated 15" Powerbook. The only problem that Apple fails to have missed here is that MOST students will be at their college's or universities in the next few weeks. They start before all highschools if my memory serves me correct. So if a student is away from home, some on the other side of the country, they won't be able to buy when Apple FINALLY ships the updated Powerbooks.

From what I have been reading, and talking to some students it has become a HUGE problem and decision making as to what kind of portable, and do they stick with Apple or switch temporarily to meet their demands? On the other hand if the student is lucky to take a desktop from home, if it's not their parents and use that for the next 2-3 months or however long it will take Apple to ship the upgrades, that is a bonus to the student.

Off topic: I just wonder what kind of crisis we are going to see with the shipments of the G5s in Canada?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
It really is sad but true how Apple can never seem to fulfill or meet the up front demand for their new product launches. If you can't supply it don't talk about it I say...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Well, all you have to do is buy one of the older PBs if you want one that bad. If you are a real graphics student, you wouldn't buy a powerbook anyways... you would buy performance in terms of a PowerMac IMHO. The Powerbooks (even the 17") don't seem to drive sales in the graphic/video/audio dept. They are just extras for the folks that already have a PM at home/school/studio.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Of course, the iBook is also due for a MAJOR revision and not just some little speed bump. It needs, at the very least, to have bluetooth built-in and be airport extreme ready.
I'm not sure really why the ibook would NEED these two. The ibook is geared at the budget minded student and consumer. What would either of these areas need with bluetooth - aren't bluetooth enabled phones expensive, why would they need bluetooth keyboards or mice, what other bluetooth device are you thinking of. Airport extreme would be nice but not a necessary item - plain airport works fine.

I agree Apple's update of the ibook and Powerbook line is a little off, they updated ibooks in April which would have been fine for schools purchasing them, but then you'd think they'd have at least a speed-bump or sale at the end of July. Powerbooks should have been updated in July as well.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well I know the school I was supposed to go to, doesnt' start until a week after the high schools in Calgary. You think the government wouldn't waste weeks in order to make sure your transcript arrives 10 days late... :rolleyes: :mad:

If I can't fix that issue tomm, I guess I'm off to Europe for a while. I'll save for a new laptop when I get back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too was waiting for the updated powerbooks all freakin' summer and then some and alas... they never came. I hate to say it thouggh, but I gave in and bought the 12 inch powerbook g4. What can I say
They lowered the educational Canadian pricing to $1999 and they had a $450 rebate if you bought an iPod and a printer. I don't really need things like firewire 800 etc., but I did actually need the G4 and it's sexy looks. A backlit keyboard would be sweet though. I can't argue the price though. I got everything in the end for $2180 (assuming my old iPod sells).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I think Apple's biggest problem isn't so much that they haven't updated the powerbooks in time for school, I think it is that they haven't updated the PowerBooks at all in a dogs age. It seems a shame to design such a sexy machine and then let sale stagnate to a point where people won't buy them because they are waiting for the next revision, and then wait another 3-4 months before actually releasing said update.

Apple's ability to ship in quantity has been harshly debated, but I think it is too off and on to say either way. certainly, it doesn't help things though.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Here is an article that pretty much speaks to Apple's laptop issue.

PC laptops are dropping to cheap levels...and I have yet to hear of any back-to-school promotions from our favourite computer company. For shaaaaame!!!! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.