Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried using NeoOffice a couple of years ago.
Reminded me of an ancient version of MS Office at the time, so I trashed it again.

I just downloaded NeoOffice 2.1 with patch 5, the latest I assume.

Nice to see that they have included a database.

But when I tried to use the database and also the spreadsheet, I still get this primitive GUI from the 90's. Is there any way to change it?
In the NeoOffice user guide, it shows nice OS X type graphics, but what I get when I use the application is the pre OS 9 appearance.
I thought there would be something in preferences to change appearance, but no luck. In any case, I don't understand why they wouldn't make the OS X appearance default.

Also, the little bit I just used the database in NeoOffice, I find the user interface terrible - not the slightest bit intuitive and the Help menu is no help.

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
I tossed MS-Office from my MacBook a couple of months ago, and NeoOffice is now my main word-processing app. I'm still on Patch 3 - thanks for the tip, I'll go for Patch 5 ASAP! :)

It was Patch 3 that finally brought a better GUI, and the frequency of patches is impressive. For those who found it slow or ungainly in the past, I'd suggest they try it again and have a little patience. For a free / open-source office suite, this is pretty darn good.

The question now is, what is future of NeoOffice since Sun announced they would help with OpenOffice's development, and the plan to finally eliminate the X11 dependency (that drove many of us to NeoOffice)?

Krs, I don't use the database component, but I wonder if the NeoOffice developers would be interested in your direct feedback?

M

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
I am almost ready to trash MS-Office simply to recover disk space. Neo Office does nicely for every thing I do. Mostly minor spreadsheets. I am using version 2-beta patch 14 or 15. Have no real reason to update to version 2.1. The interface is entirely OSX. Long gone is the clunky Windows 98 feel.

I wonder if you have bits of the older Neo-Office floating around and this is causing the old version 1 interface :eek: to resurface.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if you have bits of the older Neo-Office floating around and this is causing the old version 1 interface :eek: to resurface.
I wanted to post a couple of screenshots but Imageshack seems to be down - maybe later.

But to me, the GUI looks pretty much like a Windows one with the odd OS X bit which seems to come more from the OS than from NeoOffice.
The NeoOffice preference panel for instance - all plain black and white text, not a drop of colour or any graphic type GUI anywhere.
On the spreadsheet, the first basic function I use all the time isn't supported yet it seems - grabbing the info in a cell and dragging it to another cell. Even Appleworks does that.
Is there an uninstaller for NeoOffice somewhere? I may have bits of NeoOffice 1.1 on the Mac since I only trashed the main application last time around.
Maybe getting rid of everything NeoOffice and starting again will help.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of MS Office - it's by far the most unstable application I have right now. Doesn't crash that often, but compared to the other apps which never crash, it still stands out.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is what my NeoOffice spreadsheet look like, Excel below that, the picture in the NeoOffice documentation below that and the preference panel below that - NeoOffice first then Excel.
On the spread sheet for example, I get no icons down the left side - the picture in the document is more "OS X" like than what I get on the screen.

I trashed everythin with NeoOffice 1.1 in the name, but still no change to the appearance.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Looks pretty much Aqua to me. Incidentally these are a big improvement over the early version I used a couple of years ago.

I originally thought you were referring to save boxes and such which have also really improved over the older 1.1 version.

The preferences box is still overly complex and needs a major overhaul. However this is still a ported version of Open Office so that may take some time.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks pretty much Aqua to me.
Maybe my expectations are too high.
The NeoOffice spreadsheet looks to me as if some parts have been updated to Aqua and others haven't, but the Preference panel is a far cry from it.

I added the MS Excel worksheet and preference panel to the pictures above for comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I agree the look is somewhat generic, but it allows me to transfer files from work, especially Powerpoint presentations, modify/create/save and send back to the office (Win XP and MS Office) without losing a thing.

NeoOffice is a port of Open Office, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised if it feels a little "Windows-like". Having said that, it does the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts