Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's not as if it's impossible to get your hands on a copy with torrent et all as it is.

So out of curiosity, is there anyone here running the developing version of Leopard? I'm considering it and then just updating again when it's released in October. So close to the release, I figure that most of the bugs have been worked out of the developer versions. (Of course, not all of them or it wouldn't be developing eh?)

Anyways, this isn't a debate as to how ready Leopard is, I'm just curious as to whether anyone is running it on their current machines, how the machines are taking it, etc.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I'm just curious as to whether anyone is running it on their current machines
Anyone running Leopard is either a developer who got it from Apple and is therefore not allowed to talk about it or a thief who got it from BiTorrent and shouldn't be talking about it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I've played with the developer build of Leopard a little bit -- it's pretty nifty. Didn't notice any major stability issues.

There's still a bug (AFAIK) with Firefox and rendering text in typing boxes improperly. Otherwise it ran pretty flawlessly on my iMac CD 2.0. I gave my friend back their Hard Drive with the install on it now though. I'll stick to Tiger while Leopard gets ready.

One last thing I noticed, is that in Leopard, the "Application Running" notice in the dock (or shelf now, I guess ;) ) is a weird blue/green dot instead of the little black arrow. I found it extremely hard to tell which applications were running with a quick glance, the way I can in the dock right now. Just IMHO.

EDIT: To Shawn ...can't I just be someone who *knows* a developer, who got to play with it for an hour or so? I didn't sign any NDA.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
EDIT: To Shawn ...can't I just be someone who *knows* a developer, who got to play with it for an hour or so? I didn't sign any NDA.
According to the Developer's Release (that your friend would have "signed" on installing Leopard) specifically says that he's not allowed to let non-developers even *know* that he has Leopard - let alone see it or use it.

Apple's a pretty anal company that way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well, getting a developer version precludes you from "upgrading" in october. Apple always recommends a clean install from any previous developer version. Plus it is beta software and although this version is a marked improved over previous versions it is still subject to errors and failures.

That being said I enjoy working in it, and I wonder how Spaces is going to work on the new keyboards. Mine was on F8 before but now they have shifted all the buttons with the new F-key layout. I'll let you know next week when my keyboard arrives.

Anyways, its easy to get the developer versions. Just pony up $500US for an ADC membership like I did. I saved over $600CAN on my mac pro so it was the same price for me to get ADC+MacPro than just buying a macpro alone. Basically ADC is free (or even gives you a discount) if you are buying a significantly priced system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts