Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It crossed my mind that the iMac is really a laptop that has been snapped in two.

If you put a hinge between the keyboard and the monitor/cpu/harddrive you indeed have a laptop.

Now where did I put my duck tape?

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
That's like saying the eMac is a laptop with an expanded case. They are all essentially the same; they just come in a differant packaging for convenience. Most of the guts from one to another are the same. What changes are the screens, and the amount of portability. The MacPro can be made to be the same but is more easily upgradeable.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
That's what I've always called an iMac, supersize laptop on a pedestal. The ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 video card gives it away, although I believe they were able to fit desktop NVidia video cards into the 24" thus the substantial gaming performance increase going from a 20" to a 24".

G

·
The cheapest current 17" iMacs are laptops for the most part. You get pretty much the same internals on those models -- laptop drives, shared memory/built on video. Mini's are the same as well.

Anyone buying a new iMac should shell out the extra for the next up model if you're worried about the performance as they are not repackaged laptops ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
dona83 said:
That's what I've always called an iMac, supersize laptop on a pedestal. The ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 video card gives it away, although I believe they were able to fit desktop NVidia video cards into the 24" thus the substantial gaming performance increase going from a 20" to a 24".
Rather large misconception. The fact that the video chip is the 'mobility' version is more a name difference than a real difference. Running games on a PowerBook G4 with a 'mobility' RADEON 9600 yielded the same performance as a same-speed Power Mac G4 with the 'desktop' RADEON 9600 in my past experiences. The 24" iMac performs better than other iMac models because the 7300 GT is a better card than the X1600. Any video card that's a soldered part of the logic board (in Macs) is considered a mobility card, the 24" iMac included -- correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's usually how it goes.

·
Red Mage
258 Posts
mguertin said:
The cheapest current 17" iMacs are laptops for the most part. You get pretty much the same internals on those models -- laptop drives, shared memory/built on video. Mini's are the same as well.

Anyone buying a new iMac should shell out the extra for the next up model if you're worried about the performance as they are not repackaged laptops ;)
iMac actually uses desktop drives

G

·
Yep I guess all the iMac models do use 3.5" drives, but from what I've read around the net the performance of the cheapest 17" iMac is much less than the next model up.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The integrated Intel GMA950 video on the base 17" is a real stinker - poor video performance as well as sapping CPU power to run it.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
A desktop x1600 performs twice as fast as a Mobility x1600 according to benchmarking apps such as FutureMark's famous 3DMark.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The iMac is essentially a desktop display and harddrive with laptop components.... for instance the ram and processor and video card are all notebook parts.. where as.. again.. the Screen and harddrive are desktop parts :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
i'd like apple to put the desktop variation of the Core 2 Duo series of processors into the imac... that'd give it a boost!! and you can't tell me it's impossible.. i'd use slightly more power then the notebook version.. and it'd be half as hot as the old G5's were... and the 1066 MHz bus speed would really add to the overall performance! i have no idea why apple MUST use Intel's laptop processors in there iMac line... theres no logic behind it.. not only are the desktop chips better... but they are cheaper? somethings we'll never understand!

·
Registered
923 Posts
My iMac is the heaviest laptop I've ever owned... what do they put in these things?!

·
Registered
788 Posts
mac_geek said:
My iMac is the heaviest laptop I've ever owned... what do they put in these things?!
lots and lots of plastic ;) / metal and components... but mostly plastic!! :heybaby:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
This is one thing i certainly didn't get.

Honestly, the iMacs would still be very compact if they threw an inch on there - put in conroe's, full length DIMMs. The price would be the same (if not cheaper) and performance would blast through the roof.

I doubt that this decision was branched from the same decision to keep a performance difference between the Powerbook/iBook (but with the Mac Pro/iMac) because a much more powerful iMac still does not make it prosumer - and professionals would not likely buy a more powerful iMac in favour of the extremely powerful mac pro!

what gives?

(As for the mac mini, all the disadvantages of a desktop combined with the disadvantages of laptop components and the disadvantage of steep apple pricing :S)

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
You understand that there is essentially no difference in performance between a non-ECC DDR2-667 CL5 DIMM and a non-ECC DDR2-667 CL5 SODIMM, right? So "laptop memory" is a non-issue.

The other big difference in the iMac is that although low voltage processor has been used, it doesn't have to run under the same restrictions in power that a notebook has; hence it can run more powerful GPUs, and it can power a 3.5" hard drive. The larger hard drive makes a big difference, not just because it is 7200 RPM, but because the longer track length on the outer tracks of a 3.5" platter will smoke a 2.5" drive for throughput. It's just geometry, a larger perimeter means more data bits passing under the head in 1/7200 of a second means higher performance.

·
Registered
213 Posts

None of Apples desktop units, with the exception of the Mac mini have laptop drives. They are full size desktop drives. Most full sized desktops now these days anyways have shared video, that doesn't mean that its a laptop.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
None of Apples desktop units, with the exception of the Mac mini have laptop drives. They are full size desktop drives. Most full sized desktops now these days anyways have shared video, that doesn't mean that its a laptop.
No it doesn't, you're right. But most full sized desktops nowadays dont use laptop chipsets and processors either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts