Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use my iBook in the basement, but connect to the internet and occasionally to my eMac upstairs on an ADSL modem. An Airport base seems pretty pricey. Is ther any other option out there for me? Both run OS 10.2.6. Currently the two are in the same room linked by a D-Link broadband ethernet router.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Presumably trailing an ethernet cable down to the basement isn't an option? There are several other ways to wireless network such as HomeRF and OpenAir. However, these tend to be PC-centric and have certainly lost the battle for wireless networking (check MacinTouch for articles on these solutions - being a loser in the overall war makes the gear cheap, at least). But why not trade-in your D-link for an 802.11b router? These are a lot cheaper than ABS although not quite so easy to set up. You'll then just need an Airport card which are about $125. You don't have an option there, because the iBook lacks a PC card slot (there are some Mac drivers for PC card solutions that cost less than an Airport card). The big advantage of wireless over cable networking is the freedom. You won't go back....

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
You can get a wireless access point since you already have a router. The access points tend to be a bit cheaper. You'll also need an airport card for you iBook if it isn't already built in.

The best solution is to get a nice long ethernet cable that will reach the basement. 100' of ethernet cable can easily be found for less than $30. File sharing will be much faster. Low tech works, it just doesn't have that "cool" factor.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Sometimes the simplest solutions is the best, and the one we always overlook.... :cool:

Why not just leave the eMac running (with all energy saving features enabled but system set to never go to sleep, just monitor and HD).

Pop and airport card in the eMac and the iBook.

Set the eMac to share it's internet connection (under the "Sharing" preference pane). Don't forget to enable WEP.

Two airport cards, cheaper than an AirPort base station!

M.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Airport base stations are dropping in price - especially the ealier 'graphite' ones. I've been using mine for about a year and it works very well indeed. Looking at EBay they are running used at around C$80-100, which seems very cheap to me. Worth a look, at least?

On the other hand, the earlier posted solutions are just as good. You're spoiled for choice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
i'm not positive since i havent tried it, but i think your ibook should be able to pick up any wifi signal - meaning any of the 'pc based' wireless routers should work.

My powerbook's built in wireless picks up the wifi signals at the different places i've been to.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
You will need an AirPort card as there is no PC card slot on the iBook (as mentioned above), but you can use basically any WiFi router/access point.

I'd recommend the D-Link DI-614+ which will set you back around 160$ CDN, and use it to replace your existing router. You can get just an access point (basically a wireles hub without the routing capabilities) but for some silly reason they also cost around 150$ or so, so a router is a much better value.

If you want to spend less, There are people who have had good experience with SMC access points/routers, but personally i dont like them for anything but their price tags (about 10% less than everyone else).

Or, the two AirPort cards and using Internet Sharing is a good idea too, so long as you are comfortable leaving your eMac on all the time (or at least when you want to use the net on your iBook).

--PB

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use an SMC 7004AWBR wireless router in my home. It has done a reasonably good job but does have a bad habit of losing wireless connection with my TiBook every month or so. A quick reboot of the router always fixes it. The good thing about it is that it's cheap - currently under $85 at a local PC clone shop.

http://www.ncix.com/productlist.php?majorcatid=105&minorcatid=1024

I can give more detailed info about the SMC routers if you're thinking of buying one. Just send me a message/email.

- Martin.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Well,
Besides Airport there is also "Blue Tooth", Check out Apple's web site about this technology:

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

Whereas myself...I'll stick with my ethernet cables, There's an article on envy news about wireless technology that you might want to read, "WiFi roaming" or otherwise called Wardriving is the only thing that is a bit bothersome about going completely wireless.

http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=387

This isn't a Blue Tooth review by the way, It's a "SanDisk CompactFlash 802.11b WiFi Connect card on a Pocket PC PDA" review, I'm just using this review as an example of the dangers of a possible hack into the system from "War Drivers" while using a wireless connection. (That's just in case you were interested in reading a little bit more about wireless technology, I found it was a good read, Apple does mention 128 bit encryption as an option with the "Blue Tooth" technology).

This review also mentions a laptop that is the connection point for the PDA, I just had a thought...I wonder if this card could work in a compact flash reader that is attached to a desktop computer, It certainly would make an interesting round about network.
It would make an interesting review, I wonder if it would work.

:cool:

[ May 20, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts