Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
The wireless is not what you should be afraid of. Heat is. In fact, the reason your testicles are hanging lower than your body is that viable spermatozoa (is that the right word?) can only be produced at lower temperatures than the body. The heat from your laptop most likely WILL make you temporarely infertile, like tight jeans did in the 70's. However, flush that semen away (fun fun), get some new one produced in the right temperatures, and you'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
You're screwed either way...

Like I tell people who are concerned about microwave radiation: put a glass of water in front of the device. Run the device. Does the water get hot? If it does, worry.

In this case, just try making babies. If it works, you have nothing to worry about. Well, see my opening remarks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i dont think its strong enough to do any harm.

fyi....cellphones do however. you aren't supposed to touch the antenna while you're speaking apparently. it's written on the manual of my nokia e61.

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
So touching your private parts with the antenna while you make a phone call is bad?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The reason radios are dangerous and Wifi cards aren't is the following: Your computer has to emit with enough power to reach... well, a maximum of 300 meters, if that. Not much wattage is needed. Your cellphones use frequencies that also do not require much watts (.2 to .6 in general), although that power going through your body can kill you :p. The radio-frequency radiation is low compared to other devices you can come across.

Radios on the other hand (walkie-talkies) have emitting power going of around 10 watts. You shouldnt hold the antenna while emitting!

I'm not worried about cell phones and wifi cards. I know I'm going to get at least one type of cancer anyway!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of this thread, other than it's thoroughly entertaining. :D

So touching your private parts with the antenna while you make a phone call is bad?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
You could keep your privates in a Faraday Cage - just wrap 'em up in tinfoil :D - if you are concerned about RF pollution negatively affecting your reproductive potential.

But if you take this concern to extremes and obsess too much on it you will find you have no place to run to.

RF is everywhere!

Your favourite radio station is pumping out about 100,000 watts of it and so are all its competitors. So, to a lesser degree perhaps, are your clocks, hairdriers, TVs, microwaves, stoves, fridges, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum - indeed anywhere electricity moves a force field is created. Some people are concerned about living under power lines, near antenna fields, microwave towers.... There is little compelling evidence of any great danger...

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
RF radiation is not ionized radiation like those emitted from x-rays. RF will burn you if it's strong enough (like a microwave which is RF) not rip holes in your cells like x-rays. RF exists naturally and passes through us all the time. The devices we use (cellphones etc.) "see" radio waves that we cannot. If you really want to be scared because you think cellphones are dangerous, just think about how long you've been exposed to the many high watt equipment that has sat on top of apartment buildings for decades...not just for cellphones but for other equipment like pagers and radios used by emergency workers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.