Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching with no luck but as far as I can tell, to use the Touch at home you have to shut down your wireless security. Am I correct?
If so, isn't that a serious short coming? Not all iPod Touch's are going to use their wifi capabilities only at coffee shops with hot spots.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
470 Posts
no, you do not have to shut down your networking security -
you choose to join your network, punch in your user name and password and away you go.

the ipod touch will remember your user name and password and auto log you in when you are in range too.

the ipod touch is incredible - its nice to be able to jump online with the touch instead of having to launch the laptop or desktop.

the touch is just as fast at loading up webpages as any other computer in my house.

its very impressive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, I'm on a business trip away from home right now.

My router is setup with WPA but other than a wireless security password (encryption key) I don't use a password nor do I recall having the option of using one. I know the router itself has a password I setup. I certainly did not see the choice of setting up WPA on Touch. I guess I will have a closer look when I get back home.

Appreciate the help. The Touch is a Xmas gift for my daughter and have been setting it up on the sly.

Never had cool stuff like that when I was a kid! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm back home now and have been trying to get the iPod Touch to connect to my wifi with security on without much luck.

The problem is I don't seem to have a password option to access my wifi network in my LinkSys WRT54GL router.

Yes, I have a password to access the router itself;
Yes, I have a password set in the router to access the internet via my DSL acct (PPoE).

Security is set to WPA Personal and my WPA shared key is set. I have setup my laptop and other wireless devices with no problems but none ask for a password.

I have stared at all the menus within the router for a couple of hours looking for some setting that I may have missed without any success.

Am I missing something or is it something lacking with the Linksys router itself?

Appreciate any help.

BTW, the ipod works great on wifi with security turned off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
On your router, the wireless security is set to WPA shared key, and a key is entered?

The only way to connect to your wi-fi would be to enter the shared key into the devices. If none are asking for a password, are you sure you are connecting to your router?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
On your router, the wireless security is set to WPA shared key, and a key is entered?

The only way to connect to your wi-fi would be to enter the shared key into the devices. If none are asking for a password, are you sure you are connecting to your router?
I'm positive I'm connecting to my router.

WPA shared key and password? Same thing or are we talking about two different things?

My router is set for WPA Personal and I selected a WPA shared key.
My laptop is also set for WPA Personal and the identical WPA shared key is entered during the setup phase. So when I turn on my laptop it boots ups and automatically connects to the network. No password is requested. Same for my other wireless devices.

No difference if I select WPA2 Personal, the only reason I don't use it is one of my wireless devices does not have WPA2 as an option.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
If you have the 128 bit hex key, I think you can enter the key either with a starting '$' or '#' symbol, and the key should take.

I've had limited success from time to time with shared key passphrases, and the hex key ends up being the only reliable way to connect to some wireless routers.

Is a lease for an IP getting released on the router?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to clarify things here. My wired/wireless network works just fine. All network devices can talk to each other and have access to the internet. My problem is I just got the ipod touch and it does detects my network just fine but the ipod is asking me to enter a password. My network system does not require a password unless it's talking about the WPA shared key. In any case, entering the WPA shared key at the "Enter Password" request does not work.

I'm surprised there are no other Linksys users here.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I want to clarify things here. My wired/wireless network works just fine. All network devices can talk to each other and have access to the internet. My problem is I just got the ipod touch and it does detects my network just fine but the ipod is asking me to enter a password. My network system does not require a password unless it's talking about the WPA shared key. In any case, entering the WPA shared key at the "Enter Password" request does not work.

I'm surprised there are no other Linksys users here.
Are you inputting the passphrase or the key? Do you know what I mean?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you inputting the passphrase or the key? Do you know what I mean?
Yes I think I know what you mean. I was using the passphrase. I take it from your msg that the shared key and the password are one and the same.

I'm trying to figure out how to convert the passphrase into the key. My LinkSys router does not show me that. In setting up, all I did was enter a passphrase.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it!

Found a site that did passphrase to hex key conversions. Entered that bloody long key and voila!

So, now I know that the requested password and the WPA shared key are one and the same.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got it!

Found a site that did passphrase to hex key conversions. Entered that bloody long key and voila!

So, now I know that the requested password and the WPA shared key are one and the same.

Can you post a link to that site? I've been tracking this posting for sometime as I also have the exact same problem with the same router. I guess i should have mentioned something before hand. Anyways let me know what exactly you had to do to fix this problem.

thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you post a link to that site? I've been tracking this posting for sometime as I also have the exact same problem with the same router. I guess i should have mentioned something before hand. Anyways let me know what exactly you had to do to fix this problem.
Here is the link:

WPA key calculation: From passphrase to hex

Using this site, you need to enter your network SSID and the passphrase you were using and it will convert this to your key which is a long alpha numeric string. It's this string that you must enter where the ipod touch asks for password.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Got it!

Exactly! I was going to recommend you a site that did that, but I had to leave the house before you responded. Good work on figuring it out!

I struggled with similar problems when I was first introduced to wireless internet a few years back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly! I was going to recommend you a site that did that, but I had to leave the house before you responded. Good work on figuring it out!

I struggled with similar problems when I was first introduced to wireless internet a few years back.
I might have figured it out a bit sooner if Apple (and others) would get the terminology straight. I would call this an encryption key. Calling it a password blew me totally off course.

But now it works. Hopefully others with this problem will learn from this thread.

After playing around with this ipod touch for a bit, I'm not sure I want to give it to my daughter this Xmas. Might want to keep it for myself. :lmao:

It's a pretty awesome piece of kit.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Hey guys sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I was considering getting an iPod touch and unfortunately know next to zero about Wi-Fi. Is a wireless router an absolute necessary to get the iPod online at home? I've got an intel mac mini with a direct modem connection. Thanks for any info guys

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey guys sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I was considering getting an iPod touch and unfortunately know next to zero about Wi-Fi. Is a wireless router an absolute necessary to get the iPod online at home? I've got an intel mac mini with a direct modem connection. Thanks for any info guys
You would need a wireless router at home in order to access a wireless network - that is unless a neighbour has a wireless network that you can connect to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.