Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a scuff mark on my lcd screen by walking with my ipod in my pocket and my headphone up against it. i tryed brasso and that did not do anything. what would remove the scuff

·
Registered
804 Posts
Depends what you mean by a scuff. Plastx is a plastic polish and it has removed a scratch on my iPod, one on my eMac, and recently on my 24 inch iMac. I have also used it to polish my sunglasses.
If the damage is too deep, then nothing will fix it. You are wearing the surface down to a new even level. Using Brasso and other abrasives will take you about 45 minutes to an hour of polishing with medium pressure.
It is also a bit of an art. You have to circle your abrasion and cover the area evenly, otherwise you may create a shiny spot.
Am I sure that it will take out your scuff? No.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well i got some light scratches from using brasso, i am guna try taking them out. with brasso again ahha i will use a tshirt this time, and cicular motion rite>?

and i also found Meguiars tire/wheel spray, would that help?

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's Meguiars Plastx. It is for motorcycle windshields, tail lights, anything plastic. Cheesecloth is the best material.
Why would wheel spray work? If it has solvents in it, it could damage your iPod.

Use Brasso sparingly. I would stick with the Plastic polish. They are all basically the same.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I developed a mixer process and patents for CMP used in the semiconductor industry for polishing excess copper from the chips in a process called damscene. I designed mixing equipment to evenly distribute 0.125 micron abrasive particles in colloidal suspensions so that when they were poured over the copper and polished, the tiny imperfections were removed evenly. This process increases chip yield in the 300 mm wafer by about 10 percent.
CMP or chemical mechanical planarization as it is called is the underlying process for polishing lenses, plastic covers and even removing flaws in paint. It is also part of the slurry distribution systems used in hard drive manufacture.

Lemon Pledge has no abrasive components, so it is probably a temporary solution caused by a waxy base filling the scratches. Brasso is a bit more dangerous because it dissolves the plastic slightly but the solvent quickly evaporates before you can do much damage. Plastic polish actually has micro silica particles (or similar) in it, and it planarizes the surface. The cost of a plastic polish relates directly to its purity and particle distribution curve. Actually success will rely on how good you are at polishing evenly and consistently.

So there you have it. 3 ways to fix a scratch in plastic. Fill it, melt it or polish it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So what is your point? Are you an automated response? You have been given advice on polishing. Myself, I am actually considered an expert in nanoparticle abrasives. Exactly what would you like someone to say in this thread?

Do you think I just make this sh*t up because I have never had success with the products I suggested? Do you think the other people have not had success but decided to just recommend their solution for fun?

You are officially wasting everyones time. At least I don't have to visit this thread anymore.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Other IPod info Sources etc

MyMac - Rocking the Mac for 12 Years

MyMac Podcast 134
MyMac PodCast
MP3 PodCast
Friday, 06/29/07

Tim and Chad announce an all-new contest! This week, listen to the show for your chance to be one of three winners for our B2Stuff.com prizes. Up this week, each winner will receive a miJam Mini Guitar, a miJam Drummer, and the Wassup! Also, David Cohen looks at VPN using a Mac to connect to a PC network. Finally, Robert reviews both the The i.Sound Dream iPod speaker system and the everki The Plung iPod case.

Subscribe to us in iTunes.
Podcast-only RSS feed for all other RSS Podcast readers

Links from this show
b2stuff.com
Everki
iSound

1 - 18 of 18 Posts