Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you Apple dealers out there:

The new iPod (and iPod for Windows) apparently has an improved design that makes the battery replaceable. That's great, except no one seems to have the appropriate battery for sale, and the iPod's design does not make this a "user-serviceable" part.

The discussion boards on Apple.com include people who have had iPods replaced after complaining about shorter-than-advertised battery life, but I have yet to find anyone who has replaced an iPod battery (although this is now theoretically possible).

In short: does anyone know where to get replacement iPod batteries?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You mentioned that twice in your review in the Globe. I was interested in hearing about it too and whether the "replaceable" battery is relevant to older models. I don't think Apple has changed the specs on the iPod range since MW Tokyo, last Feb(?), when they introduced to 10 and 20 gb Pods. There are rumours of a small refresh next month - maybe that's one of the new specs?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had a problem with the battery in my first iPod with a shorter than expected life. I went to the proper Apple Support page, filled in a few details (S/N, my address, etc) and after about 5 days I had a new iPod. (Wrapped in a 'do not steal music' plastic sheet, S/N was different and back wasn't scratched).

If there is a battery than can be replaced, isn't better to have the techies do it than risking your iPod?

John

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If there is a battery than can be replaced, isn't better to have the techies do it than risking your iPod?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While it's under warranty, definitely. After that, maybe -- it depends how comfortable you are working under the hood of electronics.

SMc

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Maybe Radio Shack or a battery store has a battery that could be used as a replacement.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Doubt it Kosh as its a special flat, soft Li-ion battery that's like a gel-pack. Very unusual. MacAddict took one to pieces a few months back. You won't find this puppy in the Durocel aisle.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Can the spam.

That shop also has a reputation for damaging your iPod beyond belief. Avoid.

That, and iPod battery replacement is a DIY for many models.

Hello,

Yes, i know a place. iShopRepair .ca in Toronto sells iPod batteries. They do repair and installation too.

Hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts