Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got far too much music to fit on my iPod. I'm looking for a way to manage the iTunes library so that I can easily set up a list of the tunes that I want synced to the iPod, without having to go through the entire library to "uncheck" those I don't want. Any suggestions, free or otherwise? I did a search on the ehMac database and the last time this question was raised was back in 2005. Grateful for any help ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And now I have a more pressing problem. After purchasing some Beatles albums at the iTunes store, the rest of my library has disappeared, though my iPod appears untouched. What's up with That?!?

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Regarding your first question - I have a similar issue with my iPhone, so what I did was to create a playlist in iTunes for the music I want in my iPhone and physically drag songs into that playlist; and then set my iTunes up so that when my iPhone is plugged in, only that playlist gets synched.

My complete music library is set up to sync when my 160 gig iPod Classic is plugged in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I've got far too much music to fit on my iPod. I'm looking for a way to manage the iTunes library so that I can easily set up a list of the tunes that I want synced to the iPod, without having to go through the entire library to "uncheck" those I don't want.
... so what I did was to create a playlist in iTunes for the music I want in my iPhone and physically drag songs into that playlist; and then set my iTunes up so that when my iPhone is plugged in, only that playlist gets synched.

My complete music library is set up to sync when my 160 gig iPod Classic is plugged in.

My solution is similar to tilt's, but more semi-automated by using iTunes' "Smart Playlist" feature.

I've created several "Smart" Playlists within iTunes based on different criteria. I limit each smart playlist to 1GB. When I want to change the contents of one or more of these playlists I go into iTunes, select all of the songs in the smart playlist and delete them. iTunes then automatically instantly refreshes that smart playlist with new songs from my library (that meet the rules of the smart playlist).

In iTunes for my iPhone music sync, I select only those smart playlists for iPhone syncing and voila, the next sync automatically updates the playlists in my iPhone with the new songs.

This mimics the way my old 1GB 1st gen iPod works with the it's "autofill" option that would automatically change the songs from a selected playlist each time you synced.

·
Full Casio
116 Posts
I use a combination of the above. I have one smart playlist for every song that is three stars or better. This way you can easily add or delete songs in iTunes and you can even remove songs on your iPod by reducing the numbers of stars below three (on the next sync it gets removed from the iPod). I also have smart playlist for certain artists where I want ALL their songs on the iPod. I then configure the sync for only the smart playlists detailed above.

One other smart playlist I include this time of year is one for all songs with the genre of "Holiday" or "Christmas."

Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.