Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes miss listening to radio and being able to switch quickly when I am listening to my iPod. What do you think

The link is broken here is the story
CBC said:
Sony Corp. announced it will sell HD digital radio players in July, making it one of the largest manufacturers to back the radio's industry's next-generation broadcast technology.

Sony said it would begin shipping a tabletop radio and a model for cars, the first step in what they say is a long-term commitment to the technology.

HD digital radio is a relatively new form of radio broadcasting that allows conventional radio stations to bundle multiple digital signals with their traditional analog signal and send it on the same frequency.

The digital signal — carried as a series of ones and zeros — provides crisper near CD-quality sound and allows for text and other digital information to be carried with the audio. Satellite radio also sends its signals digitally.

Unlike satellite radio, which is a subscription-based service, the content on HD radio is free. Consumers do need to purchase a special radio receiver to pick up the digital signal.

According to the U.S.-based HD Digital Radio Alliance, more than 1,200 radio stations in the United States have adopted the technology and projects that more than 1.5 million HD radio devices will be sold in 2007.

The technology faces stiff competition, as consumers today have a wide variety of digital media options, particularly with portable media players such as Apple Inc.'s iPod.

"Digital terrestrial radio is the last frontier in audio," said Andrew Sivori, a senior product marketing manager at Sony's personal audio division. "And it's coming to price points that are becoming more reasonable for consumers."

Sony said the XDR-S3HD tabletop model will be available for about $200 US and the XT-100HD tuner will sell for about $100 US.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Canada doesn't have HDRadio yet the way the US does.

They're talking about switching to the HDRadio spectrum, but right now we still use DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting), and not IBOC (In Band on Channel -- the original name for "HD Radio").

They're testing IBAC radio in Toronto and Montreal, I think... but it's not as ubiquitous in Canada as it is in the US right now.

Also -- if the HD Tuners are less than $100 US, and they catch on, I can see someone (Belkin, Griffin, etc...) making an HD Radio tuner add-on for the iPod (as they ahve with FM tuners now)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts