Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 10G iPod, and having a good initial cry just to hold such a beautiful thing, I plugged it in and noticed something as iTunes started up... the used/free bar at the bottom initially said 30.5G used, 9.26 free... and knowing Apple, I wondered: Are the hard drives in all models 10/20/40G the same, with some firmware block to limit the size of the cheaper ones? I don't know a lot about HDs, so maybe this is a silly question, just curious?

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the notion that apple is using the 40gb drive in all system is not correct, first of all, the 40GB HD simply costs more than 20/10 GB, and since Apples most popular iPod is usually the mid model, they would be making less money on it than on the 40gig yet the cost for them would be the same. I just can't see Apple, or any other big company knowingly lower their profit margins on the most popular configuration. Secondly, I have seen people upgrade HD in the iPod, so it is not locked by firmware in any way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it didn't make much sense economically, but you never know (ie-- video spanning disabled in iBooks)... I think now that what I was seeing was the ipod software before it had decided which size ipod I'd just plugged in.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The most obvious example is the 10/20 Gig drives are physically smaller than the 40Gig drive; so much so that the 40Gig iPod is 3mm thicker (18.5mm vs 15.5mm).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts