Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused by the generation designation given to iPods. I know my 30-gig iPod is not first generation, because the dial on the front doesn't physically turn and it mounts on a dock. Since the 30-gig is now history, replaced by the 40-gig unit recently released, does that make my iPod second generation? Are there any other major differences between second and third generation?

·
Registered
401 Posts
The generations the way I view it are:

1st generation
-physically rotating wheel

2nd generation
-same as 1st gen with touchwheel replacing physically rotating wheel (that thing was annoying if you went jogging and forgot to lock the controls...)

3rd generation
-first docking model

There isn't really a 4th generation yet. I don't consider changing drive sizes as a new generation. Just a revision.

That's the way I see it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
that's the consensus from what i've seen as well roland. well put.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Every time they refine the casing it is a new generation.

The second generation were a touch slimmer than the first, and featured a touchwheel instead of the physical wheel (on the upper models)

The third generation sees a totally new design with the four buttons below the screen, and is much slimmer and lighter over all.

You have a third generation. Sizes in your range include 10GB, 15GB, 20GB, 30GB and 40GB.

--PB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts