Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys you are now my last hope before I let it go to Apple for a considerable sum. I installed leopard last night. I needed to put files back on my computer that I backed up on my iPod. So I connected it to my computer and it said it needed restore it. I allowed it. I have almost 30 gigs of music and I didn't want to wait that long and be up so late doing this. So I cancelled the sync. This is where the troubel began.

The iPod would not leave the black screen with the black Apple. I had to put it in Disk mode go into disk utilities and erase the thing and then itunes would recognize it. So that was good.

I wanted to make sure it was ok so I just unplugged it without ejecting, something I had done before and the iPod was fine. So now I think I've really done it. I cannot put it in disk mode, I can restart it but it will only go back to the silver Apple. Randomly it will go to the language selection but then back to the silver Apple. It seems now there is no way I can get it back to even get the computer to recognize it so I can erase it.

My cousin also dropped it before I connected it to my in the first place (just after I installed leopard), would that have anything to do with it? Is this physical or software damage?

So now when I try to put it in disk mode its says "Please Wait Very Low Battery" ...but its plugged in!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Physical damage is a possibility, however you should have just let the computer sync throughout the night. Removing an iPod during an active sync is no where near safe. Have you tried resetting the iPod? Menu + Select for several seconds will reset the iPod. Let me know if this was any help to you and merry xmas:)

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The computer won't recognize the iPod at all, not even disc utility. I can reset it but it will only get back to the silver apple with a black background.

thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
The computer won't recognize the iPod at all, not even disc utility. I can reset it but it will only get back to the silver apple with a black background.

thanks
Yeah, I think she might be a crispy critter in the software. Its possible that when you pulled the plug on the sync, it royally spazed inside of the iPod either with the hardware or the software. This more seems like a mix of both problems. Seeing as software can be reset and your iPod keeps reverting back to the same problem, there might be some physical damage to the hardware and the iPod software is freaking out. Sorry, to say, I think you may have to bite the bullet on this one dude:(.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed it!

I let it drain the battery all the way and then I put it in disk mode, went into disk utilities erased it put it into iTunes and she carried it away from there. The problem before was that I couldn't even get it into disk mode it was stuck trying to boot up. Thanks anyways everyone for you're support. I'd like to put my findings somewhere on the web to help anyone else who has a similar problem as me. Does anyone know anywhere that would pop up early in google? An iPod blog or something?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.