Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who has an older tray loading imac, it has usb and that's it. Is there any way he could maybe get an old windows ipod and connect it to his imac via the usb port. If this will not work is there any other way of hooking it up without buying a processor upgrade.

If it isn't possible can anybody suggest a good (non ipod) mp3 player.

·
Registered
454 Posts
donut,

Your buddy isn't gonna have an easy solution. First of all, any 1st or 2nd generation iPod is firewire only, even the Windows models. The 3rd generation iPod can connect via USB 2, but alas windows only.

So, It looks like he'll have to pony up the cash for a upgrade card.

As for other MP3 players, most will be flash based units. But that doesn't mean they are bad, just that capacity will be limited compared to the spiffy iPod.

Here are some MP3 players people I know have that work with Macs:

1) Creative's NOMAD MuVo NX 256 mb
This cool little player consists of two parts one for the battery the other for unclipping and connecting to Mac to transfer MP3s. Records something like 15 hrs of audio too. (Note: Not compatible with AAC.)

2) Samsung Yepp-55V
This is a lot like the creative but cost about twice as much, even smaller. Has built in FM tuner too, and also records voice, FM, and even has a line in jack to record from souce like CD or Tape/Vinyl.

There are prolly millions more, but I personally have the Creative and its great for those moments when the iPod is just too precious. The samsung is nice too, a buddy of mine recently picked it up, seems to like it, though he had some initial problems playing MP3s with file sizes over 10mb a firmware update via PC seemed to have fixed that.

=)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts