Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is bad to leave my iPod plugged in most of the time? I want to maintain the longest battery life possible and would appreciate tips on how to do that.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Just like Apple's laptops, the iPod won't overcharge itself and stops charging once it is fully charge. That way it won't affect your battery life.

More info: iPod Battery FAQ

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chealion, just been getting kinda nervous with all this batter talk and ipods going around. Mine is always plugged into my car deck, or my home stereo anyways so I really never need it unplugged.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
One thing I've noticed with my G3 iPod is that the battery indicator is usually very inaccurate, especially upon switching it on after a few days. Sometimes it registers empty but a few minutes later is at 25%. Temperature also has an effect on the reported battery charge. I also think recharging over a firewire connection to a computer is a bit flakey. However, if I eject the iPod (using the iTunes button) but keep the ipod connected, then charging seems much quicker.

My iPod is about 9 months old and the battery performance is about 90% of what it was new. No complaints and the iPod battery FAQ that Chealion pointed to has lots of useful information (as well as a dig at the Neistat bros).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I've owned two iPods over the past couple of years and here's what I've learned about maximizing battery life:

- keep your MP3 files below 9 megs per track (not always easy when your MP3s include behemoths like Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick," and Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Rockets fall on rocket falls.") Big files force the iPod to spin the unit's HD more often and that puts a big drain on the juice. The AAC format is especially useful in squishing down the filesize of long tracks without compromising audio quality (well, not by much);
- whenever possible, try using the wall plug to conduct your recharges (puts far less wear on the battery and the HD because it's not being synced while charging);
- try to keep your syncs to a minimum (draws a lot of power);
- say bye-bye to the backlight;
- disable the Equalizer (and make sure that this is also done to each individual MP3 in iTunes);
- don't use the alarm...ever;
- avoid at all cost leaving your iPod in a cold car...cool temperatures will drain your battery in no time flat. And cold temperatures can damage the HD;
- track shuffling and repeatedly hitting the back and forth buttons are also significant factors behind accelerated battery drainage...same reason as above: the more often your HD spins, the faster your juice will be depleted;
- use the lock switch to ensure that the iPod doesn't accidentally get started up when it's in its cozy Marware case.

Hope this is helpful...

·
Registered
535 Posts
My 40gig is only a month or so old and it exhibits the same erratic battery level readings. Even though it says charged, when you play it the level only reads 25%. Only after a song or two does the reading shoot up to full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts