Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a used iPod to replace my stolen one. I found one with Applecare, and I am curious as to what Applecare covers on an iPod. If I find the battery life to be really bad (say... only 1 hour battery life when playing video) would Applecare fix this? Do they cover battery at all? What's their threshold (70% battery life? 50% life?).

Thanks in advance for the info!
A7

·
Registered
212 Posts
From ipodbatteryfaq.com:

Q: When does Apple consider the battery defective for purposes of warranty replacement?

A: According to the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions, the iPod battery is defective when "capacity of the covered iPod battery to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specification, after being fully charged and the covered iPod playing music with all settings reset."

Apple's Battery Replacement page says, "Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPod purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $59, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner."

Knowledge Base article 61475 also says: "If you still feel that you are getting significantly less than the expected amount of play from the battery, you can arrange for service on the iPod Service Request site (http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/)." Knowledge Base article 61475 gives a controlled procedure to follow to test battery life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.