Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had my ipod for a lot longer than eighteen months and the battery is still going strong, and besides if my battery did die after eighteen months I wouldn't expect Apple to replace it. Sounds like this guy got a lemon or doesn't know how to take care of his ipod and has decided to whine about it (poor me).

When you buy ANYTHING you take the chance of it being a lemon. If you don't take care of it it will brake.

Apple is out there to make money not give it away. For the most part Apple makes great products. Once in while faulty products are made (that's life).

Besides the person on the phone sounded like he would replace it if it was under eighteen months, that's a pretty good warranty. It it were broken when he got it then maybe blame Apple, not after eighteen months in which time was probably dropped, abused, and let's face it, had stuff spilled on it once or twice.

What that guy did afterwards was uncalled for, it was slander, vandalism, and very disrespectful to the company that brought us great software and hardware.

eeee errrr eeee errrr

The worlds smallest violin playing for the whiner.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
This was talked about last week.

iPod's Dirty Secret. And well there have been many an editorial about it. Geek Patrol did a good one a few days back.

Anyone seen this iPod vid? - Thread started by motoyen

Batteries, die and expecting it to be replaced outside of warranty makes no sense. And there is the $99 battery replacement program, though why it took them more then a week (nearly 2) to put that on their site is beyond me. Even one of their mirrors got pissed off about being used.

Here are some links gleaned from MacBytes:
Mirror pissed off at Neistat Brothers
Open Letter From Mac User
The Brothers Speak
Satrical alternates to what was sprayed on the iPod ads

·
Registered
273 Posts
If I use the formula sujested here by donut...hmmmm...let me see. I buy an iBook for 2000.00 and after a certain amount of time (18 months) the battery stops holding a charge. Do we assume that it was dropped, abused or had liquid spilled on it. I know I treat my expensive gear like gold. My money is hard to come by and when I spend it on something, I keep it like new. So I don't assume they guy in the video is any different because...why?? You think he abused his iPod. And then Apple says you might as well buy a new one because the cost of fixing the battery is just NOT worth it. I would be pissed too! A top end iPod is 850.00, if any part of it breaks after the warranty runs out I think that the manufacturer should offer a way of replacing the part at a reasonable price. I think that is the point of the guy in the video going around town spreading the word of his bad experience.

Today I believe things are different. There are third party replacement batteries for iPods, but I don't know who installs them.

I think we have to stay focused on the pertinent issue here. Part breaks or is faulty. Have the ability to fix the broken or faulty part at a reasonable cost to the user.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Timothy J - Isn't a $50US self install or a $99US Apple installs battery replacement affordable?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Take cordless drills, after a while the battery will become useless, after that you have to replace it. I have a good DeWalt drill at home and it came with two batteries. One of those batteries costs half the price of what I paid for the drill. They tell you on the packaging that there is a battery life. Maybe Apple should warn people on the box, and inform people of the price of replacing it after the warranty expires. It works for drills...

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's unfortunate for things like this to happen to new devices but it has become a fact of life with batteries. You can't count on them. Period. Use and play with your toy and enjoy it. Just be thankful there are third party battery replacements out there. As for doing the install they come with very detailed instructions and a tool to open your ipod. Various users on ipod forums have reported 8hr life restored and easy to follow instructions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am guessing that last post was about the violin comment, I understand it was an old saying but it was the first thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that the thrust of the arguement is that the iPod is a battery driven device, and that all batteries have a useful life and will always need to be replaced.

Apple has chosen to create a device that they know will need to be serviced, but not a way to service the device.

What good is buying a car, if it costs $15,000 to replace the tires?

·
Registered
227 Posts
i am just saying that with proper care your ipod 'should' last more than eighteen months.

When you buy a new car you should take it in to get serviced after so-many kilometers or it brakes.

·
peek-a-boo
16,654 Posts
I'm not sure what your point is. If someone spends 700 bucks on something, Not only should it last for 18 months minimum, but if the battery goes south, you should be able to buy a replacement for a reasonable cost. Period. But I think this has been hashed about already, no?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Changing the battery of your iPod is VERY easy. Well, if you can follow the instruction, if not, ask your 10y. old to do it for you...

It very surprise me to see how people are talken by surprise about this. Since when rechargable battery are supposed to last for ever? People dont expect laptop battery to do so, so why would the iPod?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know which post some of you are reading but, if you read my post I finish it by mentioning that today (TODAY) things are different. There are NOW third party cheaper solutions that can be purchased so you may now replace the battery. In the kids video at the time the Apple rep told him to not bother replacing the battery because it is better (250.00 APPLE FEE replacement) to just replace it with a whole NEW ONE!

That is why I sympathized with this guy. He apeared to have a valid point that Apple did not seem too interested in addressing in what a consumer might deem an appropriate manner.

I don't assume that a battery will last for ever. But in the video the Apple rep says that the cost is 250.00 dollars. Call me stupid, paint me with a sign that says idiot but, that answer that the Apple rep gives the kid in the video sounds a little #[email protected]% much.

Wasn't trying to crap on any ones head or get my little 10 year old to replace the battery for me because I'm just so stupid. But 250.00 sounds unreasonable when the iPod is around 400 - 800 to begin with.

Maybe when my 150.00 Makida cordless rechargable drill battery dies I will replace that with a 250.00 (heavy sigh) battery. I know when I buy something like a car. One broken part of the car should not be 50% of the total cost just for a repair. That's what the Apple rep said on the phone message in the video. Was I the only one listening?

·
peek-a-boo
16,654 Posts
Timothy J I hear you. For the life of me, I can't figure out how anyone got from this discussion that anyone expects rechargable batteries to last forever. Any half wit can figure that out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The whole car thing is a bad comparison. A car has thousands of parts that make it up, an ipod has three main parts (there may be a couple more I'm not sure) that make up the price of the unit. If one of those parts go it's going to have a higher cost percentage than that of a car part.

If all things were created equal the battery would cost $133 for the $400 and $266 for the $800 one, but, considering that the price goes up with storage availabilty I am guessing the price of the battery is a fixed expence.

If the main board was to go or the HD you would probably have to buy a new one. He should be happy that it was the battery that went and not something else.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I give up, I throw in the towel. I guess I'm wrong about everything. I can't stand trying to convey ideas through email and posts because everyone looks at things literally. I bow to wiser knowledge of the Apple executives who obviously know more than me. Bye.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts