Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am seriously pondering wether I should buy an iPod. I currently have a Sony MD portable player (which has a 55 hour battery life on 1 AA!!), but it unfortunetly doesn't work with my iMac :( .

I am not concerned about storage, but price is important.

I think that I know the answer, but is there a way to get a MD player to sync with iTunes?

So I want to get an inexpensive iPod, but need some further clarification:

1) Does the iPod connect/get power via FireWire, or will I have to purchase a Dock?

2) Is the touch-sensitive pad a worthly feature, or should I opt for the 2nd G iPod?

3) How accurate is the battery, and how long will it last with normal use?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I remember there was a plugin to connect NETMD to iTunes 2 OS9, but can't find it.

1) iPod gets power both from the firewire port of the computer and the included powercharger. The only thing the dock does is, lets you connect it faster and you then have something to stand it on rather than just throw it on the desk.

2)Actually both the 3rd and 2nd generation iPods have touchsensitive scroll. I love it because it works great and doesn't get more loose with age like the original scroll wheel iPod did.

3) The battery is pretty strong, works for a good 8-9 hours if you don't play around with it, less if you play the games or change songs all the time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also have a sony MD player and am moving up to an iPod.

At first I was considering the 10gig model, and still am but when i noticed that the 20gig comes with a Docking Cradle, Cable Remote and carry case plus the 10 more gigs of space for 200 bucks more it seemed like a wiser choice to me.

However the iPod can connect with firewire so you dont NEED the dock. And the touch wheel is just awesome. I dont own one of these babys yet but my one of my friends who works at CompuSmart let me play with the model they had behind the counter and I was very impressed to say the least. Apple really did something right when coming up with the iPod.

For battery life I cant answer that. I would unfortunately expect it to me alot less then my MD player. :( Im also fairly sure they run off a built in battery so changing it while on the road isnt an option... (But i could be totally off)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Whoops. Wrong thread.

Post deleted.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The 3g scroll wheel works great. It actually is very easy to use; nearly everyone can figure it out without checking the manual, although you will want to because there are a lot of features you can access if you know how.

Battery life is about 8 hours with a 5 second backlight, more if no backlight. A 1-hour charge gives you 80% power, good for about 4-6 hours.

The 10gig model doesn't have the remote or dock. I saw the dock and a spare set of earphones at London Drugs for $70. You can get 12v car chargers from a number of 3rd party vendors (eg Dr Bott).

If you're willing to create some specialized playlists, 10gig is plenty, even if you use full-fidelity AIFFs (ie CDs with no compression). The iPod sounds fabulous playing CDs, better than most $600 or less CD players, and definitely better than any reasonably priced DVD player I've heard.

If you want the dock, check out the 20G model, because you get double the space plus the remote; see if the numbers work for you versus a 10G and a dock.

You don't actually need a dock. It's convenient, but doesn't offer anything you can't get by just plugging in the firewire cable (which goes to the charger) and a mini plug to your powered speakers/hifi. Looks better with a dock, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts