Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have more than 2500 photos on my Mac and iPhoto is slower than molasses going uphill on a cold day. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to speed things up?

Help me!!! Puh-leeze!

It is just painful to watch it struggle...and my G4 is no slouch! Surely there is a plugin or something out there that will speed it up a bit?!?

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Yes - use GraphicConverter for X.
iPhoto sucks. :cool:

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I agree that iPhoto can be a really slow and there's not much you can do to speed it up but here is a hint that will help a bit:

Go into iPhoto's preferences and in the appearance seciton turn off the drop shadows. Set it to no border or something. That will help a bit.

Here's to hoping Apple will speed this puppy up in the next revision, matter of fact, fix iMovie too!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
iPhoto is a good program, except for the performance issue with large libraries.

iPhoto provides a great way to preview all your pictures in a glance. The thing is, you're previewing 2500 photo's which takes up lots of Ram. How much do you have? 256 MB of Ram, will grind to a halt and 512 is not much better. A gig of ram or more is really needed. (That much should definitely NOT be needed, but alas)

You can also archive some photo's to CD or DVD with the built in archive feature. When you put the disk back in, all the categories, comments and selected songs for slideshows will still be there.

See this tech note from Apple.

The other option is to split the library into multiple libraries. There are some utilities on version tracker for doing this.

Definitely worth sending Apple some feedback on this telling them speed with a large library is an issue for you. Really think the whole iLife set of apps is going to be upgraded at Macworld San Fran, and I hope they address some of the performance issues.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Vertigogo, iphoto will slow to molasses as you say when your pictures folder has become too large with pics and 2500 is huge. The ideal solution is to monitor your size of the folder from within iphoto. Do not select any picture and see what the overall size is at the bottom left hand side of the browser window. It should show the number of pics and meg size. Keep this number at 650 to 700 megs in size in the future so that once it reaches this stage, BURN a copy of the folder to a cd.
Either select all pics and press the burn icon or you may just do it from the finder by dragging the pictures folder to the new cd and then burn it. Once complete double check that the burn has been successful and then you can trash the original folder. Upon your next start-up of iphoto it will create a new pictures folder for you. Now you've got an archived copy of your pics collection but also when you insert said disk iphoto will give you the option as to which pic folder to access.
In your case a dvd burner would come in handy to copy your current massive collection. Most importantly, do not delete photos from within the folders. Only do so from within iphoto as this will not allow iphoto to start up correctly. Good luck

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Why should Vertigogo have to jump through hoops because an app is badly designed.

Graphic Converter can easily handle his collection. I have over 6000 images in various formats which GC handles perfectly.
You can reorganize, drag between folders, edit, all in one configureable window and it showws the years tht GraphicConverter has been worked on.

Your method might work but but it's akin to driving a lawnmower to the grocery store - it'll work but damned slow.
On the other hand.......get a car. GC works, it's fast and has a long development time to get there. :cool:

iPhoto also litters thumbnails, 2500 files PLUS 2500 thumbnails. Good idea, poor implementation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some hints that I have found DRAMASTICLY (I know it's not a word) speed up iPhoto:

Use the "Film Rolls feature. This divides up each set of Photos you import by the date and time you imported the. Beside each film roll is a title. Rename this to something that will help you find the "roll" you need and (here's the part that speeds it up) use the little triangle beside the name to collapse that roll. I make sure everytime I close iPhoto that all my rolls are closed, that way when I open up iPhoto the next time it opens instantly, I don't have to wait for it to load the 2000 photos that I don't use.

Also use the keywords and the Photo Albums extensively so the photos you need are easy to find without needing to crack open the rolls.

Another related hint: If you Option-Click the triangles to collapse or open the rolls iPhoto will open or close ALL of them, so if you have them all open you can close them all instantly.

Trust me and try it. Open iPhoto, turn on Film Rolls, option click a triangle, close iPhoto and open it up again. Makes it MUCH more enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Hey Vertigogo.. I tend to just remove the extra files from iPhoto once I've sent them off to whomever.. or once they are just collecting dust in my library. I go and grab them in the Pictures folder and drop themon my external HD and I also archive a copy on CD. Once this is done, iPhoto is much snapier..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I can't take full credit, because I learned it from someone else. Just happy to pass it along.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
iPhoto works really nicely with iTunes, iMovie and iDVD though. They're all integrated. I have a G4 933 with 1 GB of Ram and about 1200 photos, and it works great. Turning off the shadow backgrounds made the difference from a little sluggish to working smoothly.

·
Registered
809 Posts
An iPhoto database is not a bottomless pit!

Break up your photo collection and then use iphoto buddy to easily switch between your many 700 MB maximum iPhoto Libraries.

The integration between iPhoto and .mac and iMovie keeps me using it.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
The integration with iMovie and iDVD is terrific allowing some neat effects hard to do on even Media 100 systems.

Managing in sections sounds most practical but I've always found it sluggish even with a low volume of photos. If it had more sophisticated open/gl effects for slideshows and screensavers I might give it a whirl again. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Organising the pics by Rolls has sped things up considerably. The problem is that you cannot re-name the Rolls with names that mean anything to you...like "Vacation 2001" or anything like that.

"Roll 126" means nothing to me. You know?

I just wish Apple would find a way for iPhoto to self-manage the bottomless pit of thumbnails...without lagging so much. They should have figured this would have become an issue after a while.

Hell, I have stopped from using it as much as I would...just because of the performance issues. :mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
What do you mean you can't rename them?

Click on the roll whose name you want to change, it comes up in the info window at the bottom left side of iPhoto. You change the name there.

That's why I wrote: Beside each film roll is a title. Rename this to something that will help you find the "roll" you need

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.