Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new MBP and moved everything over from a panther powerbook. I'm a bit annoyed that my iwork is no longer supported and I'm stuck with the demo version. The real annoyance is with the 6000 pics on the old iphoto would not import into the new iphoto. What's up with that?

Fortunately, I had backed them up onto a dvd. Now they uploaded so each one has two events, the original and the event. So, I'll have to spend some time sorting that out.

The real issue for me is where are the original files stored? The iphoto library file in pictures can't be opened. If I can't access them, I'll stop using iphoto.

Any idea where the originals are?

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Quck thought did you change user names or short user names between old and new install? That can cause permissions issues.

The default location for iPhoto images is: /Users/YourUserName/Photos/iPhoto Library. If you cannot open this folder permissions are probably the culprit. Try running Permissions Repair from Disk Utility.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quck thought did you change user names or short user names between old and new install? That can cause permissions issues.

The default location for iPhoto images is: /Users/YourUserName/Photos/iPhoto Library. If you cannot open this folder permissions are probably the culprit. Try running Permissions Repair from Disk Utility.
That's where it is. Under Panther, the folder can be opened and the individual files can be seen. Under Tiger, the folder cannot be opened. I have all the permissions but it acts more like a cache.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Yet another reason I do not like iPhoto. Do "Command-i" on the iPhoto folder. Should look something like the attached file.

If it does not say you can read & write that is the cause of the problem. Opening up the box further and clicking on apply to enclosed items only goes down a couple of levels. You can try BatChmod or Terminal to set the permissions all the way down.

Otherwise I would delete the:
/User/YourUserName/Pictures/iPhoto... folder . Also delete:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist
Boot the Panther computer as a Target drive and copy the folder directly to the correct location. Then start iPhoto. It may or may not work. If not, I would delete iPhoto folder and plist again and start from scratch from the DVD.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already on top of that. I have the panther version in the same folder (with a diferent name now because Tiger's iphoto won't recognise the contents anyway). The panther one I can open up, the tiger one I can't. I've already said I have all the permissions and I've already gone through the info window. Mine reads 4gig.

Like I said tiger's is more like a cache. I can't get inside it.

It's not a folder icon.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go to the iPhoto Library location, ctrl+click on the library icon, and choose "Show Package contents" for the context menu.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.