Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it, or will it ever be possible to import RAW images into iPhoto? I shoot lots of images in this format, and would like to use iPhoto as my default image browser. What about iPhoto 2- and more capabilities there?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Well, I don't know the difference between RAW images and those that come out of my digital Kodak, but I am loving iPhoto 2!!!

I have well over 2000 pictures and iPhoto 2 handles them a lot easier...and faster!!! Scrolling is faster, the image enhancer works well for me and the retouch tool works very well!!!

However, my favourite tool is the burn function from the menu bar at the bottom!!! I cannt believe how much easier it is to back stuff up! I just burned all 2400 pics in less than 10 minutes. What a wonderful feature!

Now I am off to fiddle with iMovie... :D ;)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
No.

RAW can be viewed as a proprietary format; each camera manufacturer's RAW files are different, and makers provide the software to download and modify RAW data for each camera model.

Essentially RAW disables a bunch of in-camera software settings, including automated ones, allowing the user to determine these at a later date (eg, while balance).

Once you are satisfied with the RAW format image, it is saved as JPEG or TIFF and can then be imported into iPhoto or any other photo application. You are supposed to either keep the RAW files for modification later, or use the JPEG/TIFF files once you are satisfied with the settings.

Graphic Converter can deal with some RAW images, but it doesn't work very well yet.

Bibble Labs makes software that can work with a number of Professional level cameras, but not many "Prosumer" models. You may find the site useful for information about RAW files, though, if your camera isn't supported.

Bibble Labs RAW
Bibble Labs: Forums

1 - 3 of 3 Posts