Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OT: Is this serious? I'm from Toronto, study languages, and haven't heard anyone say aboot.
The way we say it doesn't sound funny unless you listen closely to the way they say it. It almost sounds like we say "a boat". We don't generally notice the difference between how we say it and they say it, but they do... and of course their way is right.

The accent also applies to words like: out, shout...etc.

They also use different words than we do for somethings... trash (garbage), atm (bank machine), restroom (washroom), grill (bbq)...etc. ATM is fairly popular here, but if you say "Bank Machine' there they look at you like an alien.

· Premium Member
15,809 Posts
I disagree, but we are talking about people who say "ATM machine" far more than they say ATM.

The way we say it doesn't sound funny unless you listen closely to the way they say it. It almost sounds like we say "a boat". We don't generally notice the difference between how we say it and they say it, but they do... and of course their way is right.

The accent also applies to words like: out, shout...etc.

They also use different words than we do for somethings... trash (garbage), atm (bank machine), restroom (washroom), grill (bbq)...etc. ATM is fairly popular here, but if you say "Bank Machine' there they look at you like an alien.

· Registered
57 Posts
I hear people say "aboat", "oat" (for out), and "hoese" (for house), every single day. It is mostly co-workers. The ones born in Canada seem to do it slightly more than those that have immigrated, but immigrants seem to pick up on it quickly, especially non-native English speakers. I live in downtown Toronto and have lived here the whole time I have lived in Canada, but I was born in the Northeast U.S.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I hear people say "aboat", "oat" (for out), and "hoese" (for house), every single day.
Ya, after living in California and returning to Canada I hear it too. I had to change the way I said many words while I was there because I couldn't get through a sentence without somebody laughing or asking me to say that word again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.