Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The technical support call center for Apple portables is located in Canada. That means they handle the tech support calls for portables, which was formerly notebooks but now includes the iPhone.

I know one of the managers at this call center very well and they know I am extremely interested in the iPhone (I drove to the US last week to play with one at an apple store). This person told me some interesting information...

Because this call center is in Canada they need to train the support people on how to troubleshoot iPhone problems. The employees had never even seen a real iPhone when it went on sale, but they received a batch last Wednesday. The phones are obviously running on the Rogers EDGE network, but additionally they have Rogers sim cards in them and they say "Rogers" at the top of the screen instead of AT&T.

The employees have been given strict instructions not to make calls with the phones (not sure why). The person I talked to also said that the YouTube application was not working on their training units, and suggested the network/data connection is still not entirely ready for the iPhone.

This at least tells us that the ball is rolling (Rogers branding in the UI), but also that it might be some time before all the kinks are worked out (issues with the YouTube app). Anyway, I just wanted to share this info with all of you since I'm sure many of you are as excited as I am for it to make it to Canada.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good news

The phones are obviously running on the Rogers EDGE network, but additionally they have Rogers sim cards in them and they say "Rogers" at the top of the screen instead of AT&T.
Surely this isn't branding, but just the network identifier. I can make my Rogers phone show Fido any time, and my friend's UK orange phone shows Rogers when he turns it on here.

Z.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Good news to hear, but your thread title is HORRIBLE!!! I got all excited, planning a trip to Buffalo as I awaited the topic to open only to be crushed...if this were hockey you would receive 10 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct...

I find it weird that the call center for Apple is in Canada...although the call center for T-Mobile and such is in Kingston.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Meh, not a big deal. Here's how easy it is for Apple to make the iPhone work on Rogers' network.

Step 1) Unlock the iPhone to work with any standard GSM card.

Step 2) Insert activated GSM card from the Rogers network.

Step 3) Done!

That is how they have their demo units working in Canada.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Meh, not a big deal. Here's how easy it is for Apple to make the iPhone work on Rogers' network.

Step 1) Unlock the iPhone to work with any standard GSM card.

Step 2) Insert activated GSM card from the Rogers network.

Step 3) Done!

That is how they have their demo units working in Canada.
It could be even easier. They could be using units that were never locked (start and end at Step 2, for the Step-conscious reader).

·
Registered
809 Posts
The phones are obviously running on the Rogers EDGE network, but additionally they have Rogers sim cards in them and they say "Rogers" at the top of the screen instead of AT&T.

The employees have been given strict instructions not to make calls with the phones (not sure why). The person I talked to also said that the YouTube application was not working on their training units, and suggested there the network/data connection is still not entirely ready for the iPhone.

This at least tells us that the ball is rolling (Rogers branding in the UI), but also that it might be some time before all the kinks are worked out (issues with the YouTube app). Anyway, I just wanted to share this info with all of you since I'm sure many of you are as excited as I am for it to make it to Canada.
Nothing of what you has said lends any evidence that there are "Rogers SIMS in them"

If anything, what you have said suggests simply the iPhone roaming onto the Rogers GSM network (voice and data subject to large roaming fees) - which is standard for all GSM devices with roaming agreements between carriers such as AT&T and Rogers have...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I find it weird that the call center for Apple is in Canada...although the call center for T-Mobile and such is in Kingston.
I met someone that was a manager in a call centre for a US carrier based in the Cambridge ON area I believe. When I asked why they were located up here, she said one word: "accents". Americans refuse to deal with someone who sounds 'foreign' to them. She said that she's even been accused herself of having an 'accent' and her speaking voice was as WASPy sounding as you can get.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I hate to raise this issue again, but am I the only one who things that it is strange that a new member to ehmac would make this their very first post?

DataGridDotRedraw if you are a legitimate new user, my humblest of apologies and a very big welcome. I think I've become skeptical because we've seen a rash of new users who pop in, post some rumour about the iPhone, and then disappear. Hopefully you will be a contributing member for a long time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate to raise this issue again, but am I the only one who things that it is strange that a new member to ehmac would make this their very first post?

DataGridDotRedraw if you are a legitimate new user, my humblest of apologies and a very big welcome. I think I've become skeptical because we've seen a rash of new users who pop in, post some rumour about the iPhone, and then disappear. Hopefully you will be a contributing member for a long time.
Your comment is fair, no offense taken. I am a new member. I have been scouring the web for information about using the iphone in Canada and discovered this board. I figured I had some info to contribute so I signed up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm....I need to be careful here, don't need to put my shoe in my mouth; it will ruin my lunch.

How about "Apple iPhone Tech Support Operates in Canada"?

Any takers?
That's a good title, but I thought there was more to my post than the fact that apple has call centers here. My title is accurate and I offer my sincerest apology for causing you such excitement; it was not my intention for you to interpret the thread as an iPhone fix for Canadian subscribers.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
What I thought was that with my title, you would have the full details as you had to further explain things.

Viewing the original title can be misleading; my title draws them in gently, and your details explains it further without having one urinate like an excited puppy waiting for the page to load; it was too powerful a title. As you are new here, I will fill you in that most of us here have lost our marbles and are quite impatiently awaiting the arrival of the iPhone in Canada so our emotions are running high.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I met someone that was a manager in a call centre for a US carrier based in the Cambridge ON area I believe. When I asked why they were located up here, she said one word: "accents". Americans refuse to deal with someone who sounds 'foreign' to them. She said that she's even been accused herself of having an 'accent' and her speaking voice was as WASPy sounding as you can get.
In addition to accents, turn over at Canadian call centers is lower than American call centers (while still being high compared to other industries of course). Also, the people who will work for slightly above minimum wage in Canada are, on average, better educated than the same income demographic in the US - generally meaning your call center is going to offer better service from people who are more reliable and make better decisions.

It's not as cheap as India, but the quality is a lot better. Another person I know works for a big consulting company who sets up a lot of call centers in India and a big problem there is a cultural norm to take an afternoon tea break... everyone, together... Nobody is on the phones! "We're sorry, wait times are above average. Please remain on the line and your call will be answered in priority sequence."

I was surprised, I called Bell yesterday at 6pm to see when my current contract is up and there was no wait at all. The iPhone will likely be out before my contract is up, so it'll cost me an extra $240 if I want an iPhone right away. I'll still be first in line.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I was surprised, I called Bell yesterday at 6pm to see when my current contract is up and there was no wait at all. The iPhone will likely be out before my contract is up, so it'll cost me an extra $240 if I want an iPhone right away. I'll still be first in line.
(Unless you need to keep your current cell number) wouldn't it cost less to get the iPhone and just ride out your Bell contract (and I'm unsure if they charge for changes, but you might also switch to the lowest cost plan available for the interim)?

·
Registered
448 Posts
... The employees have been given strict instructions not to make calls with the phones (not sure why) ...
Probably because they are roaming and would rack up the $$$.

On another note, The Apple Insider posted an article today regarding a possibility why the iPhone has not reached Canada yet.

You can read it at:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._data_rates_keeping_iphone_out_of_canada.html

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you want to sound like an American so people don't rip into you for your accent down there... instead of saying 'aboot' just switch it up with an 'aBOWWWt'... Got sick of my classmates ripping into me when I was there for school.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
OT: Is this serious? I'm from Toronto, study languages, and haven't heard anyone say aboot.

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you want to sound like an American so people don't rip into you for your accent down there... instead of saying 'aboot' just switch it up with an 'aBOWWWt'... Got sick of my classmates ripping into me when I was there for school.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts