Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in a chinese restaurant in Montreal and I saw a guy with.. a iPhone!

He was taking a picture with it but I thought it was one of those Sony camera with a huge LCD on the back but no, it was a iPhone!

Still can't believe I saw one...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
More than likely there will be more.. just wonder what the roaming charges are on those suckers :p

RtC
I actually looked into it. AT&T has a Canada plan that puts the price tag at $0.59 per minute for roaming (US $) up here. Without the plan it is $0.79 per minute.

Not terribly expensive, considering that they get unlimited roaming throughout the US and have rollovers for their minutes. If I was still traveling to the US on business, I'd definitely consider one. If you think about it, you'd probably be able to use a month's worth of minutes on one week long business trip. So if you were traveling to the US once a month (like I used to), you'd be able to get the value out of one of the plans, and use it sparingly or for the wifi services only up here.

Heck if I had this 6-7 years ago along with my Vonage for my kids to use to call me on, I'd have saved a fortune and been able to keep in touch with them more often and for longer conversations.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I actually looked into it. AT&T has a Canada plan that puts the price tag at $0.59 per minute for roaming (US $) up here. Without the plan it is $0.79 per minute.
So I could go buy one in Buffalo, set up a plan and start using the thing at .60c a minute and have all the features??????

And WIFI calling and surfing would be free, right?

·
Registered
438 Posts
there is NO reason, why we shouldn't all get iPhones; register them on PrePay, and take a plan for like $50, one-time - and then bring our iPhones up here. It's essentially a top-of-the-line WiFi-enabled iPod... right? ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked one up on Friday.

1. A US Address is needed for bills. A US Social Insurance number is likely also needed if you want access to post-paid plans. You can use 999-999-9999 if you want to use a pre-paid plan (not sure if roaming works with it).
2. A US Credit Card isn't technically needed. I created a U.S. Apple Store account with my U.S. Address and a Canadian AMEX. I don't know if this will work with VISA.
3. International roaming is automatically turned on "a la carte", at 79 cents a minute and 1.5 cents per KB of data. I find I use WiFi much more than EDGE, though.
4. There are cheaper international plans, such as 20 MB data for $24.99/month and $5/MB afterwards, but if you're a new AT&T customer, they won't sell them to you for 90 days without proof of residence. This means a faxed photo ID and/or utility (paystub, power, insurance, landline, etc.) invoice.

I won't be making tremendous numbers of calls with it, and may cancel my contract before the 30 days, we'll see. It's a gorgeous device though, and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.