Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple finally realizes letting people fix their iPhone screens is all it’s cracked up to be

Cracking the screen on your iPhone is always a headache. Not only because cracks make it difficult to use your phone as a very expensive mirror, but also because Apple has made fixing those cracks a time-consuming nightmare that involves sitting in an Apple store for hours. Now, Reuters reports that butter-fingered iPhone users may be able to spend hours in a Best Buy instead.

Apple is finally letting other vendors fix their phones, giving authorized third-party repair stores access to their proprietary glass-fixing devices, called Horizon Machines. By the end of 2017, there will be 400 authorized third-party repair centers in 25 countries,​

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I had an iPad mini screen replaced by a local shop in Waterloo. Dropped it off and picked it up the next day for $80. I could have picked it up the night I dropped it off after a few hours but was not in a rush and had other things to do. I was impressed with the quality, looked perfect and have not seen any flaws.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless I'm mistaken, the new Apple policy offers third-party repairs that do not void your warranty.

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts
I had an iPad mini screen replaced by a local shop in Waterloo. Dropped it off and picked it up the next day for $80.

Did your iPad mini model have the Touch ID or fingerprint sensor??

That's where some extra costs can get added and where Apple's "Horizon Machine" is apparently required to replace and re-program properly.

And it will be interesting to see if and when such repair centers actually get setup in Canada. But I'll bet any such repairs will cost a heck of a lot more than $80.00. Apple needs the money!!! :-(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the new Apple policy offers third-party repairs that do not void your warranty.
To clarify, this is for iPhones only. If you have a third party display on your iPhone, a later repair requiring a whole unit replacement (or a component repair) under or out of warranty will not result in your iPhone being refused for service. Previously, if your iPhone had any third party parts at all, it was not eligible for any Apple service - including out of warranty servicing. Which made going to a third party in the first place a bad idea all around.

That said, third party anything other than a display continues to void any official servicing of your device by Apple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It isn't all that difficult to replace a screen or a battery - full instructions are available at ifixit.com. I replaced the screen on my old iPhone 3G and the battery in my daughter's iPhone 5. Parts are available on eBay.ca at substantially lower prices than ifixit. If I recall correctly the iPhone 5 battery was about $10.

Our nearest Apple Store is 500 km away so a bit difficult to drop in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts