Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually, when I leave my house in the morning with the iPhone charged, I can easily get an entire day of use. Today, my iPhone's battery was dead at mid afternoon.

Trying to figure out what is going on. Yesterday I turned tethering on, and I have the Find My iPhone feature on.

I tried turning tethering off, and bluetooth off... charged battery, but after couple hours of barely any used, its half empty already.

Will try turning off the "Find my iPhone" feature, but what's the use of that feature if it rips through your battery in hours?

Anyone with any other suggestions?

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
Have you been using it to play music? I noticed since the 3.0 update that every time the song changed, the screen went to full brightness. I think it was when the album art changed.

-Stephanie

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you been using it to play music? I noticed since the 3.0 update that every time the song changed, the screen went to full brightness. I think it was when the album art changed.

-Stephanie
Not used it for music yet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I noticed the exact opposite since I installed the GM version. Standby and general usage like texting, email etc... seemed to give me about 50% more longevity.

That being said I noticed that the more I used add on apps, primarily Beejive the battery dropped a lot faster than my normal through the day things.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are you using Twitterific on the iPhone? I had the same problem of the constantly draining battery. It was being caused by that app not shutting down properly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I saw slightly better battery usage, Mr. Mayor, maybe 10-20%. But my wifi sensitivity went down by one bar. So now, where I work, I pull more data through 3G which kicks my battery in the ding ding, so to speak. One more good reason to move onwards to the 3GS...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Are you using Twitterific on the iPhone? I had the same problem of the constantly draining battery. It was being caused by that app not shutting down properly.
Didnt know Twitterific was bad, I should prolly delete it and stick to TweetDeck now.

I noticed the battery actually performing better, maybe give apple/rogers a call, get a replacement :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Actually Twitterific was doing that to me as well but it was caused by the location services. Go into the settings for it and turn off Update Location so it *never* fires up the GPS.

My battery life since installing 3.0 GM has *greatly* improved.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, am using Twitterific. Will try deleting that.

G

·
Bluetooth also seems to really quickly suck away the juice since the 3.0 update whether you are doing anything with it or not and it turns itself on whenever I plug in my iPhone and have the headset in charging on the same cable. (P.S. The apple BT headset is one of the worst Apple products I've owned since my LC475 -- no I take that back, the headset is worse LOL)

·
Registered
220 Posts
My father's and my iPhone 3G's are both also ripping through their batteries after the 3.0 update. We've turned off Push completely, Bluetooth is off, screen brightness is down, we don't use Twitter applications...the standby time is just brutal now!!

This making me think about upgrading to the iPhone 3G S once we're eligible, but it looks like the 3G S's battery life isn't improved that much!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to reply to this thread.

Problem was Twitteriffic with location services turned on.

Disabled that and battery was back to normal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for your update, ehMax and glad to hear you solved your problem. Any idea what would help with battery life in the case where Twitter applications are not being used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts