Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WhooHoo! After waiting for many moons, my iPhone is finally up and running with SaskTel! :D Yanked out the Rogers sim, popped in the shiny new SaskTel chip and away we go.

I didn't get to set up a data plan yet (tomorrow), but here's hoping it's a smooth activation. Their $40 smartphone plan claims to have unlimited data, but I'm guessing there's a cap hidden in the fine print somewhere. Tethering and US roaming charges are beyond stupid for pricing, but if unlimited really is unlimited it'll be a good plan nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
so its $40.00 for unlimited data??? :confused:
Unlimited data (except tethering) for $40 or less is pretty much the norm in MB and SK.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Yes, but the $40 does not seem to include a voice plan which you are required to have. At the very least that'll cost another $15. So $55 per month isn't that much different than anywhere else. Unlimited data is a little bit of a marketing ploy as very few people ever break the 6gig mark. In fact the majority of users will never have a need for more than a gig of data.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wo0t! And now data is up and running. :) I had to google around a bit to find the correct APN, as for some reason whenever I Reset Network Settings I get the following entered under the Cellular Network Data section:

APN - fakeapn.notvalid
Username - asdjha4534DD.notvalid
Password - asdasd

Naturally it didn't work with those, but as soon as I entered inet.stm.sk.ca for the APN everything works perfectly. And fast too!

Now to decide if I need a new iPhone 4, or if the 3GS will hold me over until the 5 is available.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting thread. I was going to get an iPhone to replace my blackberry (can upgrade as of today) but people with Sasktel said at least a year before the 3G service is all over Saskatchewan, just in the cities and major towns isn't good enough for me. I will upgrade to a new blackberry for now and look to an iPhone in two years. Was really hoping for an iPhone 4 though...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rats: My bill with voice should be around $75 tax paid for my iPhone. I'm currently at ~$115/month for three phones, and adding the $40 smartphone package onto one of them shouldn't take it over $75 (I hope).

mmp: 3G coverage on rollout is pretty extensive: http://www.sasktel.com/attachments/3g-network-coverage-map.pdf. Most major highways are covered, as well as some smaller areas. It definitely covers all of my travels for now, and on completion next year it should look a bit better than the CDMA map: http://www.sasktel.com/personal/mobility/coverage/documents/coverage-map-detail.pdf

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the info. Wherabouts in Sask. Are you? My biggest concern is that I travel with work and need coverage to some smaller towns.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Yes, but the $40 does not seem to include a voice plan which you are required to have. At the very least that'll cost another $15. So $55 per month isn't that much different than anywhere else. Unlimited data is a little bit of a marketing ploy as very few people ever break the 6gig mark. In fact the majority of users will never have a need for more than a gig of data.
:yikes: If you never need more than 1GB of data, what use do you even have for an iPhone? :yikes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
My parents are in SK, and they told me to pick new phones for them. Sasktel has a a list of communities, and when they will be getting 3G. So you could look at the towns you travel too and see when they will get 3g.

~S

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
:yikes: If you never need more than 1GB of data, what use do you even have for an iPhone? :yikes:
Not talking about myself. I've seen many poles about this and the majority of users never use more than a gig a month. As for myself, the majority of my surfing is on various internet forums. Being mostly text, they don't consume a lot of data. I am on my iPhone for several hours a day and usually only use a few hundred megs of data.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you never need more than 1GB of data, what use do you even have for an iPhone?
:confused:

Apparently there really is such a thing as a stupid question. :rolleyes:

mmp: I'm in West Central SK, and as long as I'm near a major highway it looks like even the tiny towns are covered. Am I ever glad I didn't go with a Rogers contract when I got my iPhone, as SaskTel's initial 3G coverage is better than Rogers' long term plan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any word on if/when Sasktel will make a deal with Apple and start selling iPhones? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to wait and get a contract with them so the initial purchase price isn't so high. I realize there's a chance they may not get it (maybe they're in Apple's bad books because of the iPhone 4 leak this spring).

·
Registered
11 Posts
WhooHoo! After waiting for many moons, my iPhone is finally up and running with SaskTel! :D Yanked out the Rogers sim, popped in the shiny new SaskTel chip and away we go.

I didn't get to set up a data plan yet (tomorrow), but here's hoping it's a smooth activation. Their $40 smartphone plan claims to have unlimited data, but I'm guessing there's a cap hidden in the fine print somewhere. Tethering and US roaming charges are beyond stupid for pricing, but if unlimited really is unlimited it'll be a good plan nonetheless.
Hi, I was wondering if Visual Voicemail works on SaskTel's new network?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
virtuantony: Doesn't look like it. In fact the voicemail button doesn't seem to work even...I had to set up a new contact to have one touch dialing for regular voicemail.

winwintoo: SaskTel now shows a page for Mobile Tablet Plans. WhooHoo! Now I need to sell my vanilla iPad and get a 3G version.
SaskTel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply Farmer Harv.

I can't wait until SaskTel or Telus or any provider other than rogers/fido starts selling micro-sims so I can set my iphone up on them. I'm very tired of Rogers I've been with them for 7 years and with no hesitation will cancel my contract with ECF to switch providers.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.