Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently dropped his iPhone and managed to crack the intire screen. If he goes back to rogers, im pretty sure his warranty is over so he cannot replace it, but if he goes to the apple store in yorkdale or fairview would they replace it free of charge?
He does not want to spend a whole wack of money doing this so if anyone knows a good way to get it fixed or a brand new one please let me know so i can pass on the information. thanks.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Why would anyone cover this free of charge when it's clearly abuse?

Points for a humorous thread, however. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
229 bucks is crazy. im going to tell him he might as well get another phone from rogers. it will cost a lot less. and I think he was going for a blackberry curve anyway. and I have one question, since when is dropping something accidentally abuse?
thanks anyway guys.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Here's something to consider. Go drop your television and try to get that covered under warranty. Drive your car off a cliff and make a claim on it (hint: it isn't an "accident" if you do this.) It isn't just warranty abuse--it's fraud.

Name a warranty that covers "accidents" that you _cause_.

Wow.

You can't damage a $500-$800 item and expect the company that sold it to you to pay for it.

Nokia won't, Sony Ericsson won't, Motorola won't.

This is thread abuse:

229 bucks is crazy. im going to tell him he might as well get another phone from rogers. it will cost a lot less. and I think he was going for a blackberry curve anyway. and I have one question, since when is dropping something accidentally abuse?
thanks anyway guys.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
i've seen some iphone repair ads on craigslist & kijiji that claim to repair teh screen for $70-80.

maybe try one of those.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
You don't say WHICH version of the iPhone (3G vs 3GS)...

I know there are a couple of shops that will repair the iPhone 3G screen for $150+tax (half the Apple price) and $190+tax for the iPhone 3GS...

I have personally used iShopRepair.ca for when my wife dropped her 3G and shattered the screen and the service was quick and very good quality! We have had no problems with the replacement screen since...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
since when is dropping something accidentally abuse?
It's an accident, but it's under the category of abuse nonetheless.

A warranty, in its basic term, covers manufacturing defects. You dropping your iPhone isn't a defect from the factory. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's something to consider. Go drop your television and try to get that covered under warranty. Drive your car off a cliff and make a claim on it (hint: it isn't an "accident" if you do this.) It isn't just warranty abuse--it's fraud.

Name a warranty that covers "accidents" that you _cause_.

Wow.

You can't damage a $500-$800 item and expect the company that sold it to you to pay for it.

Nokia won't, Sony Ericsson won't, Motorola won't.

This is thread abuse:
First of all, a television that you pay thousands of dollars for is a lot more precious than a cellular phone, and I would not even be able to drop my tv because it is mounted on a wall and cannot move. Second, I don't own a car, I take the Transit everywhere or go in someone else's car, so count that out too.
And sorry if this is thread abuse I was just wondering if there was a way to get it fixed or even a replacement, you guys are the ones that are making me seem like an idiot saying that it will never happen and saying my friend will have to pay hundreds of dollars. You are abusing me just because I asked a question that I did not have much knowledge about and I wanted to learn more to tell my friend what to do, and you are saying all of this to me like you think i already know this stuff. But i dont, thats the purpose of EhMac.ca and threads, to help people, and help them gain knowledge about things they do not know or want to know more about, i thanked you guys, and told my friend he should just get the blackberry he wanted because he was going to anyway i just wanted to see if i could just save his iphone from being thrown out when it can be fixed. The screen still works its just the glass protecting it that is cracked.

It's an accident, but it's under the category of abuse nonetheless.

A warranty, in its basic term, covers manufacturing defects. You dropping your iPhone isn't a defect from the factory. It's not rocket science.
OKAY thank you i have seen that from 3 people already, you guys dont think i get it by now. FIRST OF ALL, AGAIN! is that it is not me that dropped it, i CLEARLY state in my post that my FRIEND dropped it and im trying to help him out. DID I MENTION THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS A DEFECT? NO! I WAS ASKING HOW TO FIX IT! and just ASKED IF I WAS ABLE TO BRING IT TO THE STORE. I BELIEVE I AM GETTING ABUSED BECAUSE OF SIMPLE QUESTIONS I ASK, AND ALL OF YOU ARE GANGING UP ON ME LIKE I DID SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG WHEN IM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED BECAUSE I ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING I OWN, MY FRIENDS ARE THE ONES I AM TRYING TO HELP, I DID NOT DROP MY IPHONE AT ALL OR ANYTHING SO STOP GETTING ALL MAD AT ME. i know you are all trying to help me out but put it in a polite way instead of saying something like " You dropping your iPhone isn't a defect from the factory. It's not rocket science." I'm not an idiot, im trying to gain some more knowledge about something and help a friend out.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
No one is angry with you. We gave you the answers, you can do what you like with the information. No one called you anything, or said you were a terrible human being for asking, even repeatedly.

And $229 with a warranty from Apple *far* surpasses any other kind of fix your "friend" is going to find. Your "friend" is essentially getting a refurbished (like new) iPhone from Apple if they qualify for this service.

And btw we don't all have $2000 televisions. You couldn't throw mine around if you tried. Of course, as you may have gathered, that isn't the point.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my friend is actually a real person. Clint Carvalho, you may search him on Facebook if you like.
and he did not by the extended 3 year warranty from apple, he got it from rogers when it first came out, and they didnt have the warranty offer.
the extended warranty from apple came out when the 3GS did im pretty sure.
anddd im not too sure about that because Lars kind of came off as making me think he/she thinks im an idiot because he/she said "You dropping your iPhone isn't a defect from the factory. It's not rocket science."
and i did also say thanks for your help earlier. i know you gave me answers i said i would tell him and i did do what i wanted with the info, i dont know why we are still going on about this, hahaha

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
you guys are the ones that are making me seem like an idiot
I'm afraid we don't have that power.

and just ASKED IF I WAS ABLE TO BRING IT TO THE STORE.
Well no, that's not true at all. You were very specifically asking if your friend could get the phone repaired for free, despite the fact that it was HE who broke it.

The answer to that questions is, "No. Duh."

In your original post, you seemed to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a warranty covers. You also didn't seem to understand that damage caused by the user is considered "abuse" in ANY warranty, and that a free repair wasn't due your friend just because it was an accident.

And, as a side note, you also seem to be generally unfamiliar with the concept of a metaphor. That is something you may wish to learn up on, as it is used constantly in everyday life.

I BELIEVE I AM GETTING ABUSED
No, but you ARE getting schooled. There's a big difference.

You asked for advice. We pointed out where your assumptions were flawed, and then provided the asked-for advice. You got all defensive. Nobody called you an idiot ... except you.

If you're unhappy with the advice we gave, we'll refund you 100% of what you paid for it. :lmao:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked if he could bring it to the APPLE STORE to get it exchanged.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But whatever.
thanks for everything guys.
later

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Off Topic....
But this is pissin me off.

SHEMM can have Spam in his signature, but I can't list the songs I listen to on Last.fm? WTF Mate!?

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
I asked if he could bring it to the APPLE STORE to get it exchanged.
Just so everyone is clear at the end of this, the answer is "yes, for $229, if the store agrees."

btw AppleCare IS available on the 3G as well as 3GS, if purchased within one year of the phone's original purchase. But it only adds one additional year of coverage, similar to iPod AppleCare (and different from the three years in-total coverage or additional two years on top of the original one-year coverage).

(Hey, Apple, hope you appreciate this!)

@ Elric: that's been reported, you can report it as well.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
SHEMM can have Spam in his signature, but I can't list the songs I listen to on Last.fm? WTF Mate!?
The schooling of SHEMM will likely continue in other areas.

But you can move the process along by PMing the Mayor or the mods, or bringing it up in the Info Centre forum.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
See the little red triangle with an exclamation point under everyone's username and avatar? That's the "report" button. All the mods for a specific subforum get the message sent that way. You can try it out for SHEMM's Swagbucks referral/spam, and see how it works!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
And just to clarify what HowEver stated about extended AppleCare: That doesn't cover accidents either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts