Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
What exactly is the issue you have with Apple's policy?

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My issue is not with the policy...my issue is that you cannot walk into an Apple store, buy a new battery and install it yourself. You need to have the battery replaced, losing all the data you have on your phone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a little expensive for a battery, but I guess it includes the labor to make the switch. I wonder if it uses the same battery as one of the iPods and you could just buy a DIY iPod battery kit? Otherwise, I'm sure the makers of those will have DIY iPhone battery kits soon enough.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
You cannot replace the battery yourself. It's soldered in.

Something to remember. The talk time per cycle is nearly twice that of regular cell phone batteries which means 1 cycle is twice the norm.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you're buying into the FUD too? How about doing some research before flying off the handle.
It's early so I won't be a smart a** about that comment... :D

Can the phone be opened without damaging it to change the battery.

Yes, syncing would of course be mandatory, but it's still a pain the the butt to have to send the phone back. I usually plug my phone in every second day, or while driving.

Sometimes it is not convenient to wait until it is almost dead then charge it. I wonder what 300-400 charges means. From dead to full? Or perhaps 300-400 chargings to full, even if starting at half power?

·
Registered
470 Posts
A sealed battery that only the manufacturer can replace.....:lmao: :lmao: What a joke. ...'apple says that you should sync your iPhone blah blah blah'...

There is absolutely no justifiable reason for sealing the battery into the phone other than sucking more of your money out of your wallet. :greedy:

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
After about 400 full cycle charges the phone will reach about 80% of capacity. That's pretty much in line with other similar devices.

There will undoubtedly be other services out there, but in any case, as others have said, at the end of a couple of years many will replace it with iPhone 2, iPhone Nano or whatever.

A similar situation hasn't been a big deal with iPods.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rough night last night?

From my the link I posted; "—and that's most likely full charges, not topping it off from 80% to 100% at night"

"most likely" means assumption...could be a safe assumption but an assumption none-the-less.

Anyways, regardless of how long the battery lasts, it is a pain in the butt that it cannot be changed easily. If your battery were to die which can happen, you are without a phone. As for renting a phone while yours is being serviced, that is another issue; Rogers will give me a phone for free while mine is in for repairs. I do not know if I see them giving free iPhones while on loan. The loaners you get now are beater phones...

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
So, like, I'm all pissed off because I can't change the battery in my iPhone.

Because, like, I knew all along, the iPhone was a sealed unit, and like, I knew I couldn't get at the battery or anything, but I was like "I so gotta have one" so I bought one, and now, like, Apple is saying "we can change that battery for you but it will cost your $80US"

So, wow, damn, stupid Apple! You tricked me into buying the iPhone! Somebody told me I was stupid for buying a phone that couldn't have it's battery easily changed, but I'm like "Dude. I knew I couldn't change the battery. But so what? I wanted the iPhone so bad, Apple SHOULD have made it just for me, so that I could change the battery."

Then I was looking at my iPhone, all cool and slick, with streamlined finish, all perfect and compact, and thought, you know, all Apple had to do, is make the back removable, with, maybe four screws. Ya, that perfect finish, who cares about that, gimme screws. Then I could take it apart myself!

All this "Apple makes absolutely gorgeous products" crap ticks me off, 'cauise I want ugly Apple products that are more convenient for me...it's all about me dudes!

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Apparently the loaner phones will be iPhones. That took a few minutes to find out.

How is your nano working out for you? Monthly or bi-monthly battery replacements?

A family member has an iPod mini and I'm going to brave the battery replacement for that. If Apple offered the same for 1/8 of its purchase price, I'd jump on it--not from a fear of hairdryers, either--see Heart's video:
http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/48834-pod-mini-battery-replacement.html
YouTube - iPod mini Battery Replacement

And while I do like that I can get $2 batteries for cell phones that perform better than Sony Ericsson's $50 replacements, I understand that this iPhone is not your regular cell phone.

rough night last night?

From my the link I posted; "—and that's most likely full charges, not topping it off from 80% to 100% at night"

"most likely" means assumption...could be a safe assumption but an assumption none-the-less.

Anyways, regardless of how long the battery lasts, it is a pain in the butt that it cannot be changed easily. If your battery were to die which can happen, you are without a phone. As for renting a phone while yours is being serviced, that is another issue; Rogers will give me a phone for free while mine is in for repairs. I do not know if I see them giving free iPhones while on loan. The loaners you get now are beater phones...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts