Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those out there that already have an Iphone...

I have a small business and I keep all my contacts in my Mac address book, use mail for all my messages and schedule my whole day as well as my employees days with Ical.

Right now I'm using a Blackberry Pearl and the mac sync utility as my phone and organiser and for the most part it works reasonably well.

I have an employee that already has a phone, but needs something I can load with the updated company contact list and Ical schedules.
also having something that I could sync to my mail inbox (down the road when we can activate that here) would be nice.

I could go get her a Blackberry, but if the Iphone will do what I want without being activated I'd rather do that, because well... then I'd have an Iphone and I want one ... LOL

So the question is, Will the Iphone work with Ical, Addressbook and here's the longshot.. Mail. Without activation??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have a question for those out there that already have an Iphone...

I have a small business and I keep all my contacts in my Mac address book, use mail for all my messages and schedule my whole day as well as my employees days with Ical.

Right now I'm using a Blackberry Pearl and the mac sync utility as my phone and organiser and for the most part it works reasonably well.

I have an employee that already has a phone, but needs something I can load with the updated company contact list and Ical schedules.
also having something that I could sync to my mail inbox (down the road when we can activate that here) would be nice.

I could go get her a Blackberry, but if the Iphone will do what I want without being activated I'd rather do that, because well... then I'd have an Iphone and I want one ... LOL

So the question is, Will the Iphone work with Ical, Addressbook and here's the longshot.. Mail. Without activation??

Thanks.
There are some Daylite customers who are syncing their iPhones to Daylite through Addressbook and iCal. I believe that you can sync your mail settings, but not the actual messages.

You might want to look at Daylite. You can use it to share contact information between you and your employee.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Firstly, out of the box the iPhone will do nothing at all until it's either legitimately activated via iTunes and AT&T, or hacktivated via one of the many methods that are now out there. It's not an arduous process, however, and you should be able to get it up and running in about 5 minutes. You can find other threads on here to that effect.

Once activated (either legitimately or otherwise), iCal and Address Book will sync nicely via iTunes (although I should note that you do have to use iTunes to do this, not iSync).

Note that there is no "Task" support in the calendar application however. It's not that these merely don't sync... The application has no place for them on the iPhone.

As Oakbridge points out, Mail only syncs the account configuration. You have to download your mail over EDGE or WiFi. The good news is that it does work over WiFi, however, so you'll be fine whenever you're in range of an access point.

The ability to sync Notes is purely speculation at this point, however. We're all hoping that Leopard will add this (with the previewed capability of notes in the Apple Mail app), but nobody knows for certain at this point.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thanks jhollington for confirming that for me.

One VERY important thing to remember with regards to mail on a PDA is this: Without the syncing, any messages sent from your PDA will remain on your PDA, they do not go into the sent box of your computer. This can become important because if you start sending too many messages, it becomes a nightmare if you have to go back and review a message that you sent. It goes back to the old days before laptops when we had a machine at home, and a machine at the office. Half the time you ended up CC'ing or BCC'ing yourself if you were sending from your secondary machine.

Of course the exception is the Exchange version of the Blackberry. You don't have a local 'sent' box on your machine, it is available to you when you connect to the exchange server. So all sent messages, regardless of where they were sent from, are in one place.

I wish Apple would recognize this and sync up sent messages from the iPhone to Apple Mail. That would make it a easy decision for me, even without the phone abilities here in Canada.

Well that and tasks, as much as I love the iPhone, I can't believe they left tasks off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wish Apple would recognize this and sync up sent messages from the iPhone to Apple Mail. That would make it a easy decision for me, even without the phone abilities here in Canada.
Actually, they do. The iPhone uses an IMAP-based client, so it will happily insert messages into your "Sent" folder in your IMAP mailbox. I can't remember if this is a default setting or not, but it can be configured from the "Advanced" tab in your Settings, Mail preferences (it might default to using a local folder, which is certainly an option as well).

This won't work for POP3 accounts, of course (since they technically don't have a "Sent" folder on the server) but as long as you're using an IMAP account, Sent Items can be filed into the correct folder, and even Drafts and Trash can also be synced up onto the server via IMAP.

In fact, the IMAP-based client on the iPhone is actually quite good, and even allows browsing to other folders and filing messages into them.. My only real complaint is the lack of IMAP IDLE support (which would allow for a true "Push" implementation -- although Apple Mail does no better in this regard), and the very limited attachment support. If they addressed these two issues, the iPhone Mail app could be one of the best I've ever used on a portable device.

Well that and tasks, as much as I love the iPhone, I can't believe they left tasks off.
Yes, that's pretty much the number one deficiency for my purposes. There are certainly other small limitations that bother me, but that one omission by itself would probably be enough to preclude me from ever switching to one as my primary device.

I'm crossing my fingers that they address at least this with a firmware update. IMAP IDLE would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one (since Apple Mail still doesn't even support that on the desktop).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, they do. The iPhone uses an IMAP-based client, so it will happily insert messages into your "Sent" folder in your IMAP mailbox. I can't remember if this is a default setting or not, but it can be configured from the "Advanced" tab in your Settings, Mail preferences (it might default to using a local folder, which is certainly an option as well).
Is this the same procedure I would use to set up my desktop Apple mail app to keep my sent messages on my imap "sent" folder?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Rukus please keep in mind that iCal and address book can only be synced through iTunes! As far as I know there is no wifi or bluetooth way to sync.

Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.