Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 2010 and technology is evolving. The more I see or hear about the ipod touch, the more I want it! There is something that is bothering my curious mind.

Do you think that an Ipod touch/Iphone can replace a PC or even a laptop? The thinks I do with my laptop are really basic. I surf the web(twitter,facebook), collect pictures,music, read pdf files and that's about it. I wasted a lot of money on my laptop for nothing because I mainly do basic stuff on it.

What do you guys think about it?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Do you think that an Ipod touch/Iphone can replace a PC or even a laptop?
No.

What do you guys think about it?
The iPod Touch isn't even in the same playing field as a regular laptop, and neither is an iPad, while we're at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Code:
No, an iPod touch is very locked down, it has no multitasking (yet?). Its screen is too small to replace anything but a portable video and gaming device. For you however, I think the iPad has a shot, I'm not certain of integrated or external storage. You may want to check and see how it interacts with other thinks like a camera and cell. My suggestion is wait and see, for one if I would use it to replace a laptop it better be fast, have good battery life and multitasking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm just saying that to replace a laptop, even one as bad as yours I would wait until the iPad comes out. It will have word processing and other things along the lines.

·
Registered
615 Posts
and neither is an iPad, while we're at it.
I agree. However would I get an iPad to replace checking emails, surfing a few websites (assuming your favorite sites don't have flash), storing some pics & music and viewing the odd PDF? Sure I would.

In fact that's why I would get one. But for those very same limited reasons is why I would keep an iMac, Mini or even MBP.

An example of where I think an iPad could replace my Mackbook would be my recent trip to Myrtle Beach. An iPad would have been perfect for what I used my Macbook for (emails, checking out trip advisor for restaurant reviews, or to look at restaurant menus). In a real pinch, I would even survive with just my phone (that will be my next trip in April - mind you I would prefer to travel with an iPad).

For me it will not replace any of the 3 (stand alone computers) mentioned above, not yet at least (in 5 years....maybe). But for someone that thinks a laptop is too much computer for everyday basic use, I would certainly suggest looking at an iPad. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
396 Posts
It won't replace a normal computer but if you can make do with using that little screen to go on the internet and check emails it could probably replace your laptop if that's all you use it for and you have another computer at home.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
The iPod Touch and iPad can replace laptops in some cases...and typically only as a portable extension of a 'real' computer at home. I used to carry my MacBook pro with me all the time when I traveled but haven't since I got my iPhone since it can do what limited tasks I needed while on the road (email, web and remote desktop in emergencies). The iPad would be even better at that...but I still need a computer at home to do the heavy lifting of getting the media I consume on the iPod's ready.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Andrew Pratt speaks for me as well. I take my MBP half as much as I used to. I use my iPhone to read pdfs, docs, spreadsheets, view video presentations etc. What is different is now I use notebooks more. I used to take my laptop and write notes in pages. Now I take my iPhone and write notes on a notebook. This speaks volumes of what their limits are: consumption of media, not production, even basic kinds.

I think that captures the limits and opportunities of these hand held devices.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
The iPod Touch isn't even in the same playing field as a regular laptop, and neither is an iPad, while we're at it.
With all due respect, I have to disagree. For most of my daily needs, I find the iPhone covers the bases surprisingly well. I can surf the internet, check my e-mail, catch the Facebook updates, as well take pictures, take video, use Google Maps, and a thousands of other possibilities. I can even buy from the iTunes Store directly from the iPhone or use Shazam to find out the name of that song I'm hearing. I'd say I refer to the iPhone way more often during the day than either my MacBook or my desktop iMac, though I treasure them both.

The iPod Touch is also very useful but limited to WiFi zones. If the iPad is basically a large screen iPod Touch, I think it will replace most of the routine things we use laptops for, plus with 802.11N speed and the option to use Pages, Numbers and Keynote (iWork), this device will replace laptops for a great many people. If you need the memory requirements of a large scale computer, that option is always available, but I think the iPad will be enough for a huge sector of the population. And half the price of an Apple laptop too.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
With all due respect, I have to disagree. For most of my daily needs, I find the iPhone covers the bases surprisingly well. I can surf the internet, check my e-mail, catch the Facebook updates, as well take pictures, take video, use Google Maps, and a thousands of other possibilities. I can even buy from the iTunes Store directly from the iPhone or use Shazam to find out the name of that song I'm hearing. I'd say I refer to the iPhone way more often during the day than either my MacBook or my desktop iMac, though I treasure them both.
I suggest that makes it a valuable addition/extension of the desktop, not a replacement. There are a ton of roles it couldn't possibly fill, and could never see it filling.

The iPhone (or any other portable device) is great for consuming media, be that reading web pages or email, or listening to music or watching video. They aren't however, at all ideal for producing content.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I suggest that makes it a valuable addition/extension of the desktop, not a replacement. There are a ton of roles it couldn't possibly fill, and could never see it filling.

The iPhone (or any other portable device) is great for consuming media, be that reading web pages or email, or listening to music or watching video. They aren't however, at all ideal for producing content.
Totally agree. I think there are people out there who don't really want to create anything however. In fact I work with a few that don't know anything about even simple movie or photo editing or anything of the sort. In fact one of the ladies at work went out and got herself a top of the line 17" MBP last year and all she does is check emails once in a while, literally. When the iPad comes out I'm going to suggest she sell the MBP and pick up one of these, it would more then take care of her needs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are giving interesting argument. I saw on youtube some editing programs on the iphone. I wonder if I can watch video websites on a iphone? Would it be better if I jailbreak the iphone??

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Code:
No, an iPod touch is very locked down, it has no multitasking (yet?)..
I'm streaming the Habs game in the background while checking facebook. Also, while listening to the game I can also play a video game, (or check ehMac hehe) while receiving notifications from MSN (eBuddy) and receive text messages. This is enough multitasking for me lol. Although I do know that everybody's needs are different.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wonder if I can watch video websites on a iphone? Would it be better if I jailbreak the iphone??
This is actually a potential deal breaker for me (at least a second iPad for the wife). She watches all her shows online. Currently you can't on the iPhone, most of them use Flash or other imbeded players. There may be a workaround with jailbreaking, not sure. But if there is, my wife is going to love the iPad.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I'm not sure if you are looking for it to replace a second computer or your primary computer? It won't replace the primary as you need something to sync it to for backups, updates, etc. It is a fairly capable device that can get new software and songs from iTunes, etc, but you really do need a real computer for things like loading up pictures/music, etc to it.

The iPad is quite interesting though as a secondary computer replacement for use on the couch, etc. Nice way to answer email, browse the web, etc. I'm keeping my 17" MBP though for the keyboard and much larger and high-res screen for that though. I may pick up an iPad for use when away from the house, as a step up from my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The ipod touch/ iphone can be a replacement for me if my MBP is not with me. Its very hard to browse the web on a small screen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts