Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

iPhone 5 - Speculation, rumours and anticipation

4K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  mobscene 
#1 ·
So, I have an iPhone 3Gs. I skipped the iPhone 4 (Not completely by choice thanks to Rogers).

I'm due for an upgrade this summer and I'm very much anticipating pulling the trigger when the iPhone 5 is released, which so far Apple has been surprisingly consistent in releasing an update around June / July.

Maybe you are hoping too... so here is the thread to keep tabs on what the latest rumors and anticipated details are.

#2 ·
It's funny how all these rumours and leaks always seems to be some chinese leak, but lots of Mac sites have picked up on this one, which apparently have had reputable leaks in the past. They are reporting that iPhone 5 will lose the glass back that the iPhone 4 has in favour of an aluminum back.

I'm indifferent either way.

I would love the iPhone 5 to have the dual A5 processors, which is really likely.

Another thing I'l like to see, is for the front facing camera to be HD as well. Would be great for mobile video podcasts, and you the podcaster could monitor the screen to see what's in the shot.

#3 ·
Interesting leak! I'd be surprised though if they redesign already. Especially considering the aluminum interferes with the antenna. Look at the iPad, they have that black notch at the top for a reason (the 3G antenna).

For the iPhone 5, I expect a speed boost like the iPad 2, but who knows. They'll probably just release a tech refresh with the White iPhone shipping from day one and call it a day.

#4 ·
Not a rumour, just a wish item. Would be great to have a processor fast enough to record video from both cameras at the same time. Record commentary and action at the same time for editing into a cohesive video clip later.

#6 ·
I'm really not overly excited about the iPhone 5. I really can't even fathom what Apple could add to it to make it even mildly appealing. The guy I bought my 3GS from admits now that it was a mistake to upgrade to the iPhone 4, and actually preferred the old 3Gs. Of course the iPhone 5 will have an upgraded processor, but beyond that they will really have to break some new ground to really turn heads. Aluminum case? Maybe, but the original iPhone had an aluminum caseback and they really didn't wear too well. Although the back glass may be more susceptible to breakage, it is easily replaceable and seems to resist signs of wear pretty well.

My guess is that this upgrade will be similar to the 3G-3Gs upgrade. Same case, faster processor and possibly 4G support.

#8 ·
It's not that there are any amazing, wizz-bang features to be added. Apple has a lead with the iPhone brand but it is being whittled away by Android and it's flock of manufacturers. Apple doesn't have just one "google phone" to compete with. There are several companies competing to have the best hardware spec (even though there is only one underlying os). With new Android hardware being shoved in consumers faces every week, Apple has to keep it's hardware at least minimally current or risk irrelevance.

#7 ·
I'll be fairly surprised to see true 4g (as in lte) just yet... But I wouldn't be surprised if it supports faster hspa+ that telus and bell have recently started marketing as 4g... I Also expect a spec bump to the new a5 processor... As for the actually redesign I could see that going either way... If it weren't for the antenna problems I don't think they would bother with a full redesign just yet but if you've already got to put in significant engineering to fix the antenna on the current design why not update it to a new one...

#10 ·
I will jump on board and entertain this conversation.

Following the recent launch of the iPad 2 with Dual Core A5 chip, I would say that it's a given the next generation of iPhone will be sporting the same Chip, battery life would be my first concern.

There is a good chance the front camera will also be HD..

There isn't much more Apple could add in hardware to the next generation of iPhone.

I will admit that I really love the overall engeneering and style of the iPhone 4, I had hoped the new iPad 2 would sport a similar style.

The rounded edge of the iPhone 3 and 3Gs didn't do it for me, that being said, Apple should be loosing the back glass and opt for an allumuniiuum back on the next generation, similar to what CNN website offers.

As for the wish list, there is a lot of room Software wise.
My iPhone 4 is no Jailbreak installed but some times it's tempting. how about making all future ISO carrier unlock, then look at what is being offered in the various JailBreaks and copy some of those options if they can't invent them, I'm talking about some of the goodies, not the software off iTunes.

#12 ·
Anything is going to be better than the Nokia n97... *sigh*

Basicly hoping for some spec bumps, maybe a little bit of the thinness that ipad 2 got, and *wishlist* more codec support. (I know it won't happen, but I would love to just drop some divx files to the device..) Can't wait for June/July at any rate.

#16 ·
I think iOS 5 will be more the rage and how it will use the new A5 chip on the next Gen iPhone. Personally I think that the design of the iPhone 4 is one of, if not the best looking designs I have ever seen. I really hope they don't stray too far from it on the next version or I may have to buy the iPhone 4 outright (if it replaces the 3GS as the cheaper option) and save my upgrade until my Telus contract runs out. Those mockups are hideous by comparison and look like a step back. Since those I know with an iPhone 4 have no antennae issues, I'd like to see it remain in the outside. I'll leave it to the folks at Apple to come up with something innovative and put new words like Retina Display in our vocabulary. Really excited and this time I hope they can keep their prototypes from drinking at bars.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm still sporting the old iPhone 3G... what a clunker. It's so slow it hurts to type with it. I finally jailbroke it after almost 2 years of using it.

I stayed with it because I didn't see the 3GS as a substantial upgrade. when iPhone4 came out I thought I would upgrade but then decided to wait when I heard about the antenna issues.. I thought I'd wait a month or two until supply catches up with demand and when all the details of the antenna issue are sorted out. At the time there was a lot of hype.

Suffecient supply didn't happen until almost 6-7 months in... by that time I figured if I could bare with the 3G long enough I could skip iPhone4 and make it straight to iPhone5 and be an early adopter.

To me that seems like a worthy upgrade.

Because I haven't upgraded to iPhone4 I've spent time working on negotiating plans with my current provider and it's led me to creating a handy Excel chart that helps me figure out what mobile plan is best.

Here is the Link for anyone interested.

I am really looking forward to the iPhone5, lots of good rumours out.

#22 ·
I'm anticipating a very similar transition that the iPhone 3GS brought.

A faster processor (probably the A5), better graphics performance, perhaps slightly higher resolutions in both cameras (probably only the rear facing one), and maybe a 64GB option. Not a HUGE jump from the iPhone 4, but I'm using a 3GS at the moment, and I can't wait for the announcement.

Definitely gonna be picking one up.

#25 ·
Been thinking the same question. I'm still with an iPhone 3G and was tempted to go for an iPhone 4, but like a previous post, the wait lines were too long.

The iPhone 3G is fine as a phone. Not so good for surfing or running apps quickly. But surfing on a tiny screen is never ideal.

So I'm thinking of getting a fast Wi-Fi iPad2 to serve as my internet/app device and simply tethered to my lowly 3G.

#26 ·
Hmm, iPhone 5, I also looking forward to it, but from some uncertainty, such as iFunia news blog read that 'some reports put the launch around June 2011'. Now the iPad 2 is just released and Jobs is on the medical leave, I think the time for iPhone 5 releasing will be as early as January next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.