Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my iPad to see my 4s personal hotspot unless I open Settings/Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. If I'm using the iPhone or it's in my pocket, the personal hotspot is not visible, nor is it available even though it's "remembered" by my iPad.

Is this normal? When I'm on the Go train, my iPad can see quite a few smartphone hotspots, but not mine. Once I open the settings, it connects right away. I don't see any documentation on this "feature" anywhere. Everything I've read implies that once the hotspot is set up, it's visible and available all the time.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

TIA for any enlightenment.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Yes once it's turned on it should stay on until you turn it off of course.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can't get my iPad to see my 4s personal hotspot unless I open Settings/Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. If I'm using the iPhone or it's in my pocket, the personal hotspot is not visible, nor is it available even though it's "remembered" by my iPad.

Is this normal? When I'm on the Go train, my iPad can see quite a few smartphone hotspots, but not mine. Once I open the settings, it connects right away. I don't see any documentation on this "feature" anywhere. Everything I've read implies that once the hotspot is set up, it's visible and available all the time.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

TIA for any enlightenment.
Personal hotspot turns itself off after x minutes of inactivity (ie. if it has 0 connections for a set period of time it goes into "sleep" mode). Opening settings and going back to Personal Hotspot turns it back on again :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you notice the wording on the Personal Hotspot screen - it says "Now discoverable" - which I would assume indicates you need to be on the screen to have your WiFi hotspot discoverable by other devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.