Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iphone 4s IOS help needed

Hi, my wife has an Iphone 4s which is currently running IOS 7.4 and it's absolutely slow. (yes we know we are seriously behind in updating - but there is a solid good reason).

Long story short - I'm running 10.6.8 on my mac pro and 10.8.3 on my MBP. My iphone 6 is currently running on IOS 9.1

IF i update my iphone by one update, i will then have to update my itunes on my MBP, which will then cause me to HAVE to update my operating system from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5.

by doing so, my FCP7 and a slew of other still very handy and useable programs will then not work.

So in other words, it's a backwards domino effect for me.

In regards to my wife's iphone 4s, we tried to update the IOS via my itunes on my mac pro (10.6.8) and it's telling me that i must update to IOS 9.3.5 This IOS will not run on either of my computers, and actually be a "newer" IOS than what my iphone 6 is currently running.

MY QUESTION - How can I get IOS 8 or IOS 9 downloaded from somewhere, and have it installed onto my wife's iphone 4s?

If there is a way around this, i'd GREATLY appreciate the help.

Many thanks & sorry for the long novel of a post.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I have an iPhone 4S sitting on a shelf, being used as a security camera with ManyThing precisely because it's damn near impossible to do anything with it. I couldn't even jailbreak it with the tools currently available, which would have made it somewhat more useful. (Just found a new Jailbreak possibility published in August - haven't checked it out yet, but here's the link). I think Jailbreaking is going to be your only possibility.

I don't have a solution for you, sorry... but I do want to toss a thought your way. You may jump through a dozen hoops, and after much internet searching and messing around, find a way for this to work for you. And in very short order, find that you just can't do what you need to do.

With all due respect, it's time to start planning for a full-scenario upgrade and start working now on ways to mitigate the pain... which may very well mean newer equipment.

Good luck, MacAttack416...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CubaMark,

Thanks for your reply. I totally hear what you are saying, however, I'm sure there must be a way for me to find either IOS 8 or IOS 9 somewhere and have the ability to install it.

If someone else reading this thread is able to help me, please let me know.

Would appreciate the help.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
Hi, my wife has an Iphone 4s which is currently running IOS 7.4 and it's absolutely slow.

1st main point I'll state is DO NOT EXPECT A LATER IOS THAT NORMALLY REQUIRES MORE RESOURCES, TO RUN FASTER ON AN OLDER IDEVICE.
Sorry to shout, but I have no idea where that idea keeps coming from.

2nd, maybe keep your Mac and iDevices separate and not that dependent on each other.

3rd, you don't even need iTunes when there are much better applications for dealing with iDevices like imazing.app etc.
https://imazing.com

PS: Apple has just finished messing up their latest iTunes 10.7.x for many users and I'd suggest avoiding it.

As for any iOS updates, what does the iPhone 4S offer in its Settings > General > Update… ???

And have you even checked some Apple sites and updating info such as this:
https://www.apple.com/lb/support/ios9/

And maybe have a read here if you want to try their route if it's suggestions are still working???
https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-install-ios-9.htm

- Patrick
======

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have my old iPhone 4 still in daily use running iOS 7.1.2. The battery is still great and holds a charge all day long. I use it in my 1984 Buick as a music player through the car's stereo system, so older phones can indeed be useful.

And for the record, I have used nothing but iTunes successfully for the past 10 years with an iPhone 3, G3, 4, 4S, 5, 6 and 6S without ever an issue and have NEVER had any kind of slowdown using every single upgrade to an iOS that Apple ever released. As a matter of fact my iPhone 5 now used by the wife runs iOS 10.3.3 as smooth and quick as can be.

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
And for the record, I have used nothing but iTunes successfully for the past 10 years with an iPhone 3, G3, 4, 4S, 5, 6 and 6S without ever an issue…

I hope that continues for you with Apple's latest iTunes 12.7.x version release if you're "up-to-date".

It seems that it's screwed up a lot of users, especially those running an older iOS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts