ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was having a lazy sunday reading a book on my iPad2, I placed it on my lap for a second to have a sip of coffee and BAM!! puppy jumps on my lap and on top of the iPad.. causing a minor yet very irritating scratch in the middle of the screen..
the ipad was bought in september of last year, so we are in the final few weeks of the warranty.. just wanted to touch the waters and see what are my chances of a replacement from the apple store..
any thoughts? stories? suggestions I can use if I went there to ask for one?

anybody want to adopt a puppy?? :lmao:beejacon

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
A scratch would be considered user damage, though I'm surprised a puppy would be able to scratch it at all.

Not covered under warranty, but you might get a one time exception.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, didn't think she can do it.. She's pretty heavy lol
I'll go to the apple store in lunch hour and hope to get lucky!

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Time to cut those nails!

Seriously though, iPad, coffee and puppy in the same place at the same time?????? I would have to say you got off lucky.

For some reason I thought the glass used in the iPads was a bit tougher than that. So I have certainly learned something today.

Good luck at the Apple Store. They do sometimes go above and beyond so it is certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you don't have luck at one Apple store try another one. Worked for me and others.
Worst case scenario get a replacement for half the cost.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
If they won't replace it for free as a result of the accidental damage, then they should give you an OOW replacement for $249.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A puppy's claws are made of the same stuff as a human's fingernails, so your story wouldn't work on me personally. Then again, puppies are cute. It's worth a shot!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A puppy's claws are made of the same stuff as a human's fingernails, so your story wouldn't work on me personally. Then again, puppies are cute. It's worth a shot!
not sure what breed of puppies you used to base your judgement, but i'm pretty sure their nails are much tougher than human nails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
not sure what breed of puppies you used to base your judgement, but i'm pretty sure their nails are much tougher than human nails.
Well, I'm assuming your iPad2 is like mine, and the material that was scratched is glass. Glass has a hardness of 6, and a dog's claws have a hardness of about 2.5. (Googled it.)

If that doesn't do it for you, think about this. Have you ever seen a dog frantically pawing at a glass patio door to be let outside? I have, many times. Not a single scratch.

Anyhow, I'm NOT calling you a liar. I'm just saying that if I was the Apple Store employee you ended up with, I would have a very "hard" time buying your story. Maybe the puppy had a stone or something lodged between its paws, or maybe you only noticed the scratch for the first time after the puppy incident. Be prepared for an argument similar to mine, that's all.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the glass isn't scratched, it's that protective any glare or whatever apple calls layer that they have on top the glass.. or as I was told by the apple employee today :D thus it's normal wear and tear they said. I guess that explains how the glass door wasn't scratched when the puppy goes at the patio door.. but they can cut through the door screen like butter! lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
the glass isn't scratched, it's that protective any glare or whatever apple calls layer that they have on top the glass.. or as I was told by the apple employee today :D thus it's normal wear and tear they said. I guess that explains how the glass door wasn't scratched when the puppy goes at the patio door.. but they can cut through the door screen like butter! lol
Hmm, interesting. I know there is an "oleophobic" polymer used with the surface to make it easier to wipe fingerprints off, but I heard it's impregnated right in with the glass, not a separate layer. (Otherwise it would scratch.) I really don't detect any anti-glare going on since I use the iPad as a mirror sometimes! Also, it seems strange that there would be a protective coating (presumably to prevent scratches) made using a material that's softer than glass, to protect glass... Basically I think that employee you spoke to was full of it!

Oh well, guess you can try again and hope for a different employee, as previously mentioned. Apple is famous for being generous with hard luck stories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts