Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting read regarding if and how Apple might up (double) the res of the iPad2 screen. Seems trickier than I first thought. Here's an excerpt:

"Firstly though, it's important to stress that these are only rumors and that 2048x1536 is an incredible number of pixels -- 3,145,728 of them, in fact. That's only 17 percent less than the 27" iMac or 27" Cinema Display, and it's 52 percent more pixels than a 50" 1080p television screen! This makes the screen expensive to make; it places greater strain on the graphics chipset to drive the screen, which makes that more expensive, too; it won't do the battery life any favors either."

iPads and Retina Displays: Doing the math

G

·
I agree with those statements in that I highly doubt we'll see a resolution bump on the upcoming iPad, it's just not cost effective on any front. Not only would the screen be expensive to build, but the processing power needed to drive it wouldn't be very feasible either, the battery life would suck, etc (I know they said it all, but I have to vocally agree with them at this point).

·
Apple Enthusiast
881 Posts
I agree with those statements in that I highly doubt we'll see a resolution bump on the upcoming iPad, it's just not cost effective on any front. Not only would the screen be expensive to build, but the processing power needed to drive it wouldn't be very feasible either, the battery life would suck, etc (I know they said it all, but I have to vocally agree with them at this point).
Completely disagree with battery life sucking and not having enough power to drive it. Have you ever seen the inside of an iPad? Unlike most of their products that are completely and strategically crammed, you can tell that they have LOTS of room to tighten things up in there, put in a bigger battery...etc and have the capabilities to input the new display.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not getting another iPad unless it has the "retina display". This is the only new thing that I really want out of the iPad. Cameras... bleh... who cares!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The current rumours are that the new iPad may end up using dual GPUS (graphics processors). The graphics processors will each individually be improved as well (SGX543 vs. current SGX535), and they have been made to be used in multiple core configurations. This may or may not be teamed with dual CPUs (Cortex A9 based) in the anticipated A5 (the GPUs will probably be part of the same package as the CPUs, like in the current A4). The Blackberry Playbook tablet is using a dual core CPU already for those who don't see dual core CPUs in mobile devices. There may also be a sweet spot, in that dual 800Mhz CPUs will run cooler/use less power, than a single 1.2-1.3GHz CPU. Just speculating.

The rest is an economic decision (i.e. what will be the parts cost with the dual GPU/Dual CPU in the A5, and the 9.7" Retina display) vs. what price they believe they can sell it for. With the rumored re-contoured back, it is possible to make a wide/long, but very flat battery that could retain, or possibly even improve, battery life, and I'm pretty sure that both the GPUs and CPUs will be more energy efficient (as new generation parts) as well.

I am also wondering if this will be the first Apple device to make use of DragonTrail glass for the LCD cover, and/or Liquid Metal for the rest of the case.

Kostas

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Completely disagree with battery life sucking and not having enough power to drive it. Have you ever seen the inside of an iPad? Unlike most of their products that are completely and strategically crammed, you can tell that they have LOTS of room to tighten things up in there, put in a bigger battery...etc and have the capabilities to input the new display.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not getting another iPad unless it has the "retina display". This is the only new thing that I really want out of the iPad. Cameras... bleh... who cares!
Don't forget that bigger battery also means heavier battery...there is a point of diminishing returns no matter which specs you start to play around with.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I doubt a retina display, but a resolution bump seems possible. I doubt it may happen as they may focus on other feature improvements first and improve the display in 2012. It could still happen though.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I think ertman (who is channelling John Gruber of Daring Fireball there) has it exactly right. Changing the resolution now would mean that EVERY APP OUT THERE would need to be re-tooled. Not to mention the cost, the quality issues, etc.

Developers need a heads-up on a big change like that, and they flatly haven't gotten one. To me this means Apple isn't going there.

Besides -- one of the reasons the iPad sells so well is that it is EASY TO READ. A tonne of seniors I know have gotten them and love em for exactly that reason. High-res is important in some place, but everybody reading this is going to be 60 or more (I hope) one of these days and let's see what you think of 4096x2048 on a 9.7" screen THEN, hmmmm?

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I don't care about retina display, I'm going to get the second gen iPad just for the Facetime capabilities, as well as everything else iPad is great for.

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
I think ertman (who is channelling John Gruber of Daring Fireball there) has it exactly right. Changing the resolution now would mean that EVERY APP OUT THERE would need to be re-tooled. Not to mention the cost, the quality issues, etc.
Many posts ago in this thread I challenged the logic of Apple on their iPad, to which Chas_m, rightly it appears, stated that I was mentally challenged in grasping the significance of that product. So I recant my assertion...but I think Apple needs to think about what it wants the ipad to be.

No sure if carrying around a 10 inch 3d TV replacement will be the answer, unless they are thinking the iPad is the key to all future computing. Resolution increases are great, but on a 10 inch who really cares....it's 10 inches. Now the extra USB port, yes I can see that, cameras....not so sure, it it seems a hallmark of Apple portable products so they are simply keeping the "standard" alive.

To me, Apple's biggest concern is Rim. Don't laugh, Rim has a firm hold on the business market, and Apple has the consumer. Rims advantage is the encription features of its products. This is where Apple needs to address its R&D.

As for my prognostication.... I humbly yield to the master!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Besides -- one of the reasons the iPad sells so well is that it is EASY TO READ. A tonne of seniors I know have gotten them and love em for exactly that reason. High-res is important in some place, but everybody reading this is going to be 60 or more (I hope) one of these days and let's see what you think of 4096x2048 on a 9.7" screen THEN, hmmmm?
A higher resolution would be easier to read, since everything stays the same physical size (text is dynamic, bitmaps need to be re-rendered by the app makers at double res). Crisper fonts = easier reading.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I would not use an iPad for extended periods of reading, that's what my Kobo is for.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I don't see the point of increasing the display resolution. I can see cameras, maybe even larger amounts of storage? I'd like the larger capacity. That way I could carry around my entire iTunes library some day; music, movies, tv shows, plus full res photos from iPhoto too!

·
Registered
635 Posts
If Apple quadruples the resolution of the iPad screen, does that mean a ridiculous amount of up-sampling of even HD movies to fill the screen? Just curious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts