Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like so many others of you out there, am contemplating buying an iPad. I can wait for the Canadian launch, but then wondered about the HST and how that will impact it, if at all.

Since all electronic devices are subject to PST and GST, the HST should be the same amount, but since the dollar in the States are virtually at parity with the Canadian dollar right now, what are the reasons for NOT buying from the U.S. Apple Store? Other than shipping and possibly a small brokerage fee, I think the price would be relatively the same, yes?

And I don't plan to get the 3G equipped device, so the SIM-card/carrier issue is moot.

Has anyone ever run into a warranty issue with a U.S. purchased device? Can you extend the warranty with a Canadian store-bought Apple warranty extension package?

Can anyone detail their Apple store iPad purchase with a cost breakdown including transit and any border fees, please?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
The cost break down has already been done. Search is your friend.

http://www.ehmac.ca/ipad-apple-tablet/85784-ipad-landed-costs.html

If you want one now, buy it now. The dollar is good, there is no duty; just taxes at the border. If you can drive down to get one it will be better than shipping as you will get hit with brokerage fees.

You won't be able to get warranty service in Canada until the product is actually available here. You should be able to purchase extended AppleCare from anywhere and worse case is you buy it from the US later if you can't. Should not be an issue.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cost break down has already been done. Search is your friend.
I searched for a few keywords, but found nothing that really hit me with the correct results. Thanks friend, that helped a lot.

I have a feeling I'll just wait it out for the Canadian launch. BOO!

:ptptptptp

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I really don't like some of the U.S./Canadian iTunes Store workarounds some users are reporting. It's more of a convenience thing than anything else, but one of the main reason for owning an iPad in the first place is for massive convenience.

It's really this issue alone that I'm more concerned with rather than the dollar amount... I want to access the iTunes Store right from the device without having to tether it to my MacBook all the while...

No workarounds for me thank you very much!
:heybaby:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.