Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello iPad Community!

I would like to buy an ipad (Wi-Fi; 128 GB) - either the new air 2 or the mini 3. Please help me decide.

I have an iphone 5s - this will be my first ipad. A major use I have for the ipad is to track and chart stock market performance in a larger format than on my phone. But do I really need the air? The mini seems adequate and the smaller format would be more transportable and probably easier to hold.

I would also love to use it outside in the sun... which brings me to possibly the deciding feature between the air and the mini... how good is that antireflective coating on the air screen? will I be able to read the screen in bright sunshine? If I'm still housebound in nice weather, the new coating is immaterial to me. I don’t know what the fully laminated screen on the air means - is it stronger or ?

There are differences in the chip and the camera but I'm not sure I would really notice the difference... any thoughts?

Finally I would like to use Microsoft Office apps - especially word & excel. If you have any opinions on the ease of use and functionality of Office apps for the ipad, would you please enlighten me?

Thanks everyone - looking forward to your replys!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
It sounds to me like the biggest deciding factor for you is size, and only you can really tell which size is right for you. If you can I strongly recommend going into an Apple Store to physically hold each and see you they feel in your hands, in my experience most people have a clear preference for one or the other once they've held both.

The lamination and anti reflective coating of the screen on the air 2 should both help considerably with viewing in sunlight, but I can't speak to this. If you do decide the mini is the right size for you, you can easily save $100 by picking up last years model, the touchid is the only thing new, and while its nice, it's totally not worth the $100 price premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul82... you are right - size matters but I am willing to compromise if I can clearly read the screen outside in the sun! I have seen both the air2 and the mini3 in the stores and would prefer the mini except for this feature.

Does anyone have experience in the sun with the air2? Would love to get your thoughts.

Paul, I am also interested in the larger capacity (128 GB) in the newer models but thanks for the thought - I agree the touchid feature is not worth the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts