Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I just commented moments ago, the iPad 1 is getting longer and longer in the tooth. Lots of interesting iOS 6 only apps coming and i'm slowly starting to feel the pain. Far from being a paper weight, but considering it's mass, it's starting to feel like one. ;)

Anyone else here holding on to the original market disrupter ??

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My wife uses mine everyday mostly as an e-reader but still for some light web surfing and Facebook.

It'll be used this way until it dies :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
853 Posts
My sister has one, but she uses stuff way past its useable life, so the iPad is new in comparison to her MacBook that has a 5 second battery life and beach balls on everything.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I still use a couple of original iPads. Gave one to my dad at Christmas. Works just fine for the most part. I am finding that Safari is crashing more frequently these days as websites push the limitations of the old hardware.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Three years on and my kids still use their iPad 1 everyday. The also each have an iPod touch, plus a cheap cell phone. They do most of their schoolwork on the iPad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My wife uses hers every day too. It does seem a bit slow at times though. I'm just waiting for Apple to release a retina iPad mini and I'll likely upgrade her to that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me old stuff almost always goes straight to my technical wiz kid 13 year old Granddaughter. One old iPad 1G, two iPod classics and an iPod Touch 1G, and if I can't sell my 2008 iMac (classified listing still languishing here on ehMac) she will get it as well. Also my iPod Touch 4G that I won't need when I get an iPhone 5S or 6 (after which I rip out 2 Landline phone money pits).

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think I'd probably be going round the bend if I still had an original iPad (unless it was for nostalgia, of course). The leap in the experience in three years has been huge! I can see the next model being the one that gets a lot of OG owners trading up, however... if the rumours are right, it should be wonderfully light compared to what we know.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
I've been thinking about an ipad, but also an air....lwas in Staples yesterday and saw a samsung series 5, it's an 11.6 inch tab but runs Windows 8. Was thinking Apple should take the air and rip the keyboard off and we would have the best of both worlds. I like the ipad but am wondering about its usefulness in two years.....I don't want a device that just winds up as another e-reader...would like it to have some thump to it. I'm thinking that maybe samsung has the right idea....but I really hate Windows.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Rps, I can tell you that I use my 3rd-gen iPad much more now than I did when I bought it 14 months ago. The next iPad model is likely to BE the "take the Air and rip the keyboard off" (though using iOS 7) model you're looking for. I sold my original iPad to a friend who is still using it every day. Sure, he can't get a few of the latest and greatest apps, but everything he does get for it works great, and its core functionality (internet) is completely unaffected by the passage of time.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Chas, my I ask what and how you use it? I am an ESL teacher and want to use it as my main device in class for lessons and such. I have a mini at home which serves to design the lesson, and I thought I would transfer it to the ipad for class work and also use the thing to update or make minor changes.....this got me thinking about buying an Air....but when I saw the Samsung I thought that it was more of a computer than the ipad.....but it's the windows thing. Will the ipad do....that is the question...

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Chas, my I ask what and how you use it? I am an ESL teacher and want to use it as my main device in class for lessons and such. I have a mini at home which serves to design the lesson, and I thought I would transfer it to the ipad for class work and also use the thing to update or make minor changes.....this got me thinking about buying an Air....but when I saw the Samsung I thought that it was more of a computer than the ipad.....but it's the windows thing. Will the ipad do....that is the question...
I don't know if you are a Pinterest user. I am and I just did a search on Pinterest for "esl iPad education" and got a ton of hits. Varying the search term you use will find different results. Also drilling down to pinners who've pinned interesting things will open more doors.

Many of the pins are geared to home schoolers and early years, but you're a smart guy, any idea you see there will spark an ideas for you to adapt in your particular environment.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm still using an iPad 1 with 32gb.. it does the job for the most part. yes, safari is indeed crashing often due to these websites getting so heavy. but my two year old sure loves it!

thinking of getting an i5 11" air now to somewhat replace it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More proof today that the iPad one is getting old. iOS 7 in fall. Although I don't expect the devs to port everything right away, esp the smaller dev houses, but they will soon come. Time to start looking to upgrade.

I love my iPad 1. I do so much reading with it, and I have tons of apps, but I went to grab this pretty cool app a few days past, and no dice - iOS 6 only. ARGH.

To make things worse, they're not the easiest to sell for respectable $, esp w/ the awesome minis out. DOH.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts