Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK not strictly iOS but worth a try :D ...

I have a virtual PABX and connecting my phones to the router via a switch (some PoE ports, some normal ones).

One day this setup stopped working. I tested the switch and everything looks normal (blinking lights etc.). When I plug the phone directly into the router everything works normally. When I connect via the switch, the phone gets stuck in 'obtaining IP address' mode for ever.

Easy way out is to ditch the Switch but those PoEs are not cheap so I'd like to try another thing or two. Ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The switch is auto-sensing and cannot be reset

I couldn't find a firmware update or any other update

I have swapped cables

I have now tested this with a connection to my time machine (direct to router v via the switch) and I have the same problem: no IP

A real bummer this one...

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Hmm. Is it possible there's something connected to the switch that is also trying to act as a DHCP server?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
807 Posts
First and foremost, can you assign a static ip to the phone and see if that works?

The switch I am assuming is some form of managed switch (you can get to a config page) and not just a dumb unmanaged switch?

- If you take another non phone device (laptop, desktop, Apple TV, really fancy toaster :)) and connect it to the switch via Ethernet Cable, does it get an IP address?

- Are there any VLANS or QOS settings on the switch? (If yes are your VLANS tagged correctly, including dhcp relay? ).

- Is there anything in the switch messing with broadcast/unicast packets? DHCP requests are UDP broadcast (and/or unicast) packets (port 67 and 68)?

- How is the power situation? Low voltage can mess with POE... Can the phone run on external power and boot properly?

- Is it all ports on the switch or just some?

Have you tried to factory reset everything?

BReligion

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks BR

Yes its a dumb switch and I have tried to swap other IP requesting devices (ie internet connection) as well as all the ports, different cables etc. I see no way of 'controlling' the Switch connecting it to a computer and the Netgear help page is not very helpful! Would lot to run a test/factory reset but no idea how. There are no physical buttons (even recessed) of any kind.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well good news is if it is a Prosafe switch, there is a lifetime hardware warrantee :)
Fingers crossed its a hardware issue.

Most "managed" switches you would control similar to a modern day router (they have a web client) or if you are a an enterprise class device you would first use a good ol serial connection and/or telnet.

Also, not sure if this is still a thing, but the cable between switch and router.. is it a cross over cable or just a regular patch cable? With most devices now doing auto MDIX its not as big of a deal, but you never know.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like it's a dumb switch so no reset possible. Finally managed to get through to Netgear support and they're replacing it under the warranty... Thanks everybody.

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Well it looks like it's a dumb switch so no reset possible. Finally managed to get through to Netgear support and they're replacing it under the warranty... Thanks everybody.

Nice, and let's hope the replacement works properly but Netgear is usually pretty good reliable stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was reliable. 6 years night and day but still, you'd like to be able to plug the stuff into something to check it out!

Anyway Netgear sent a replacement after two days which works like a charm! :D

Amusingly, a mini switch to connect 2 printers (4 port, unbranded) also died at the same time: onboard power supply burnt (now quite melted but dark marks). So it seems that 6 years is the design life of these things! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Amusingly, a mini switch to connect 2 printers (4 port, unbranded) also died at the same time: onboard power supply burnt (now quite melted but dark marks). So it seems that 6 years is the design life of these things!

I wonder if they got hit with some sort of power surge or stray lightening current???

Anyway, nice to hear of good Netgear replacement service and I didn't think their warranty went that long.

- Patrick
======

1 - 14 of 14 Posts