Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY, learn something new everyday.
IP Over Firewire is built into Panther..

It was a very cool way to be transferring files from my iBook to my Tower. No Target disk mode, both computers in use at the same time!

very Cool!!

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Anybody have the data on transfer speeds, IP over FireWire vs. Ethernet 10/100/1000?

What advantages are there to IPoFW? What disadvantages? If we want to connect multiple machines, are there FW hubs? If so, do FW hubs have the same collision issues that ethernet hubs have? Are there FW Switches?

Oh great guru, we want to know!

:D
M

·
Registered
154 Posts
IP over Firewire is something I have never tried before, but something I have been meaning to research for the longest time. I do high-speed transfers over firewire with 2 PCs in my house. I don't know if IP over Firewire is supported in Windows XP Pro, but I hope that it is.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Anybody have the data on transfer speeds, IP over FireWire vs. Ethernet 10/100/1000?

FireWire is 400Mbps, so it you have an iBook/iMac/eMac it is definitely faster.

I can just connect two macs with firewire without damaging them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "damaging them", but yes, yes you can.

I don't know if IP over Firewire is supported in Windows XP Pro, but I hope that it is.

In WinXP you can bridge TCP/IP to a firewire port, so theoretically it is possible. Assuming that it works like plugging in an ethernet cable, it should just be plug in and go. I've never tried it though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You actually have to create a new port configuration in your Panther Network preference pane and select "built-in firewire" before you can start sharing over Firewire 400. (There's also a 6 to 4 option and I wonder what that's for...I wonder if the protocol works at Firewire 800 speeds as well...)

I've had some succees connecting my iBook G4 and 1.25single MDD. I could get the iBook to appear on the tower's network view, but not vice versa. And, it took quite a while for the iBook to be recognized at that. I've found it faster so far to use target mode, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
This is in today's Tidbits newsletter:
**IP over FireWire for Small Ad Hoc Groups** -- Mac OS X 10.3

Panther can use FireWire cabling as a networking method, just like Ethernet or AirPort. Because even FireWire 400 is a few times faster than 100 Mbps Ethernet, IP over FireWire can be a great way to hook up small networks on the fly.

You may already know about FireWire Target Disk Mode, in which you connect a laptop, for instance, to another Mac, and then power up the laptop while pressing the T key on the keyboard. When the laptop finishes booting, it shows a FireWire symbol on its screen (and nothing else) and on the other machine, the laptop's drive appears in the Finder just like any other mounted hard disk.

IP over FireWire extends and simplifies the Target Disk Mode notion and eliminates the need to put one Mac into a special state. You can daisy chain from 2 to 63 Macs together using standard FireWire cables, or link the computers via FireWire hubs.

You enable IP over FireWire just like any other network connection:

1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click the Network preference pane.
3. Choose Network Port Configurations from the Show menu.
4. Click New.
5. Choose Built-in FireWire from the Port pop-up menu.
You might name the service "IP over FireWire".
6. Click OK and then click Apply Now.

Now, when you plug Macs together with FireWire cables, each computer assigns itself its own address, and the Rendezvous auto-discovery services enable each computer to see resources on other machines. You can even use Internet sharing (in the Sharing preference pane's Internet tab) to share an Internet connection over FireWire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts