Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool video created by the folks at TiPb of iOS 5 iMessage vs BlackBerry BBM

Test is done thanks to the help of someone in Halifax with lots of reference to RIM's network coming out of Canada. :)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
Is anyone else less then thrilled with this new feature? Personally, I don't always want the person on the other end to know if I've received the text... will there be an option to turn off the sending of read receipts?

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Is anyone else less then thrilled with this new feature? Personally, I don't always want the person on the other end to know if I've received the text... will there be an option to turn off the sending of read receipts?
DDKD not sure why you would not want that, with out delivery recites I always assume that you have gotten it, now I know.
I even refuse to let Outlook send read-receipts. I think senders use this feature purely as a CYA and I do not encourage CYAs.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
You opt-IN to send read confirmation :) Apple rules.

So far iMessage has been GREAT, switching to iPad and carrying on convo. Now, I just can't wait until everyone has the update.

I would still like to see a connection to SMS, so even if the other person doesn't have an iOS device, I could carry on on the iPad with them...

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
DDKD not sure why you would not want that, with out delivery recites I always assume that you have gotten it, now I know.
Of course, just because someone has received something doesn't mean they've read it...

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
This is good because I don't have text messaging in my plan. Unfortunately, it's only for other iOS people.

I really like the fact that it avoids the carriers. Anything that reduces the carriers to providing service only is good in my book.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't have picture messaging as part of my data plan, so everytime i send a picture on my phone, I get charged for it. If I send a picture using this new IM, will it go through my data plan, or will I get charged for every picture I send?

I used to have a bb, and you can send pictures message through bbm, and it would just use data from your data plan.

Just to make things clear.

-I have a 500mb data plan
-picture messaging is not included though
-have had the same cell phone plan with both bb, and iphone 4

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I don't have picture messaging as part of my data plan, so everytime i send a picture on my phone, I get charged for it. If I send a picture using this new IM, will it go through my data plan, or will I get charged for every picture I send?

I used to have a bb, and you can send pictures message through bbm, and it would just use data from your data plan.

Yes. Uses data. It's pretty cool, I've been using it a lot with a friend of mine.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
iMessage is really cool and a great idea but as iOS 5 is still a beta I am not very sure how to know if a user has or not iMessage!
That's the best part!
You don't need to know, the iPhone/iPod/iPad knows for you.

In the text field it'll say iMessage or Text Message, text conversations are white and green, iMessages are white and blue.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts

Yes. Uses data. It's pretty cool, I've been using it a lot with a friend of mine.
That’s if you both have iMessage. What if the sender has iMessage and the receiver does not? I think the carriers will start to charge the receiver for the reception of the picture message or may even if both on the same carrier still charge the sender for sending the message through the MMS system. I know it’s not that way it is now but if you think the carriers are going to allow this to happen without them making money you are kidding yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.