Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beta profile for iOS 12 and had downloaded it. When chekcking for any update, I see that I have 12.0 (no beta mentioned). Is this what is called the Golden Master? Is the GM as good as the actual release of iOS 12?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Gold Master will probably be based of the latest developer beta. I can't recall if there's parity at this point between that and the public beta. GM normally winds up being the release, or at least, back when the OS was distributed on physical media :)

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand, if you have the beta profile installed, the actual GM release will be more readily available before release? Do I have that right? And at what point should one delete their beta profile?

According to this, one should wait till iOS 12 is public ally released to avoid a full restore through iTunes. So, I assume that means installing the public release and then deleting the profile.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/...ic-beta-program-without-restoring-your-iphone

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
From what I understand, if you have the beta profile installed, the actual GM release will be more readily available before release? Do I have that right? And at what point should one delete their beta profile?

According to this, one should wait till iOS 12 is public ally released to avoid a full restore through iTunes. So, I assume that means installing the public release and then deleting the profile.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/...ic-beta-program-without-restoring-your-iphone
I've always waited for the public release, upgraded to that and then removed the beta profile.

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts

Nope. When the public GM release is released, it becomes available to all users who can use it or want to.

As for using the beta, one should know and understand all the implications of using it before even installing it.

Just saying… :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When checking for updates, I’m seeing that I have 12.0 but there is no “beta” stated. With a beta installed, shouldn’t it state that?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
When checking for updates, I’m seeing that I have 12.0 but there is no “beta” stated. With a beta installed, shouldn’t it state that?

Mine says "iOS 12." Don't believe it's ever said otherwise, unless an update is available. I may be mistaken though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
As indicated earlier, the GM release is 99% of the time the final build in the development cycle that will be released to the public. It allows developers to test prior to public release what the file build is and hopefully fixed any bugs from the previous beta... very rarely is there another dev release after the GM.

At some point after the public launch you will still need to restore/upgrade to the official public release. The GM will still only be singed for a specific amount of time (I think it even prompts you at some point to upgrade).

… but for all intense and purposes, the "GM" isn't considered "Beta"... and also if my failing memory servers... no release has ever had a beta in its title in iOS when you are looking at the About or anything like that, you need to look a the build/release # of the Version (12.0 (ABCDE) to correspond to the Beta build #.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, it sounds like iOS 12 has been officially released. Both my iPad Pro and iPhone are not showing any update available, so, at this point, I guess I have the latest. Should I delete my beta profile at this point?

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
Should I delete my beta profile at this point?

Maybe read up on the basics of using the Apple Public BETAS!!!

As a hint or suggestion, have a read here:
MSterling says:
September 17, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Based upon the file naming, this is the GM that was issued last week for the Beta users. So I assume no need to load again. True or False?

eln says:
September 17, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Correct, the iOS 12 GM build from last week is the same as the iOS 12 final build from today.

If you want to leave the beta program though you should remove your beta profile otherwise you will soon get updates for iOS 12.1 beta etc too, which most people do not want since most beta testers want the major versions (iOS 12, iOS 13, etc)
Download iOS 12 Update Now [IPSW Links]

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
i really dislike what apple has done with do not disturb and restrictions with new setting called down time..
it has added so much more confusion, that was unnecessary - i did not understand what downtime was so i disabled it and it reset my restrictions and privacy back to factory - what a nightmare to reset up everything ..

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
So, it sounds like iOS 12 has been officially released. Both my iPad Pro and iPhone are not showing any update available, so, at this point, I guess I have the latest. Should I delete my beta profile at this point?

I just came across this and thought you might be interested:
How to Leave the iOS 12 Beta Testing Program
Sep 21, 2018

How to Leave the iOS 12 Beta Testing Program

- Patrick
======

1 - 12 of 12 Posts