·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so who is doing it? and post your results

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I will be trying it out on my iPad today when it is released, I think that is around 1pm EST. My phone, well I will wait a little bit as it is my only phone and would rather hear about the bugs then experience them for myself first hand. My iPad is nowhere near as crucial and currently just a handy web surfing tablet.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i deleted over 30 GBs of iPhone/ipad apps of my computer as it is no longer required
iTunes no longer installs apps - so moot point in holding them on my hard drive..

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
i deleted over 30 GBs of iPhone/ipad apps of my computer as it is no longer required
iTunes no longer installs apps - so moot point in holding them on my hard drive..
I cannot remember the last time I used iTunes for installing apps.

Question though if it no longer needs iTunes, does it still do a backup in iTunes or everything has to be cloud now?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think it will still backup the data to iTunes. I noticed long ago iTunes stopped syncing my Apps. Every time I restored my phone from backup it had to go and download everything again. Not a pain with decent broadband, but still took a while.

Oh and I will be upgrading tonight when I get home... it wasn't available this morning, so no dice till later.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot remember the last time I used iTunes for installing apps.

Question though if it no longer needs iTunes, does it still do a backup in iTunes or everything has to be cloud now?
my experience was restore - then iPhone downloaded all the apps from apple anyway.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
No can do for me. My iPhone is a 5 and my iPad is a 2. Archaic and not supported by iOS 11

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
holy moly - it is 2.03GBs - no thanks
waiting for all the others to do it first.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
downloading right now in my iPad mini... latest one with touch ID.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Been running the beta for ~2 months and the GM about a week now. No issues. iPhone 6.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I installed the GM on my iPhone and iPad. Love it so far. Haven't seen watchOS 4 yet though. Little cheesed that Airplay

One thing I was surprised to see: finally, after years and years, if you set faces in photos on the Mac, it actually shows up on iDevice as well.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
done - installed - interface is odd but will get you used it..
app store is ruined - so awful..

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
done - installed - interface is odd but will get you used it..
app store is ruined - so awful..
Agree on the App store. This is the new Apple, no longer form and function beautifully meshed together. They are all about the look and ignore the functionality. Takes way more to see way less with the new App store.

I did end up installing it on my phone after not seeing much difference on my iPad mini. I like the new control panel and the dock on the iPad, but other then that i am not seeing anything major that changes much how I use an iOS device.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my iPhone just bricked
lol
on the phone with apple
turns on and screen wont react to my touch and power button wont turn it off

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
my iPhone just bricked
lol
on the phone with apple
turns on and screen wont react to my touch and power button wont turn it off
it wen't from working to being bricked? I get nervous about that every time Apple does an iOS update for my iPhone. I know it is rare but it still happens.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it wen't from working to being bricked? I get nervous about that every time Apple does an iOS update for my iPhone. I know it is rare but it still happens.

good luck!
i called apple - typical flow chart - reformat and start over LOL
hate that..

i ended up googling how to reboot when home button and screen are non reactive..
and got it up again

i might keep this active - incase it happens again
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-reboot-turn-off-iphone-ipad-ios-11-without-using-power-button/

basically i held down the power and volume down button till it force rebooted

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Downloading now for my iPhone 6. I'll have to wait for the arrival of my iPad Pro 10.5 on this one. My 4th gen iPad won't take the iOS 11 update. Looks like my wife get herself a newer iPad.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
i called apple - typical flow chart - reformat and start over LOL
hate that..

i ended up googling how to reboot when home button and screen are non reactive..
and got it up again

i might keep this active - incase it happens again
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-reboot-turn-off-iphone-ipad-ios-11-without-using-power-button/

basically i held down the power and volume down button till it force rebooted
That seems about normal for anything OS or software related. Uninstall and reinstall.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Agree on the App store. This is the new Apple, no longer form and function beautifully meshed together. They are all about the look and ignore the functionality. Takes way more to see way less with the new App store.

I did end up installing it on my phone after not seeing much difference on my iPad mini. I like the new control panel and the dock on the iPad, but other then that i am not seeing anything major that changes much how I use an iOS device.
I was almost hoping ios11 would be sluggish on my iPad Air 1 so I could justify a new pro, but it’s working briskly and all is well.

But, how do you get to the control panel?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts